why cycle with live rock?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bob`_your_dog

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey I've been thinking bout converting my malawi 60 gallon. Now i was wondering, if live rock acts as your main biolocial filtration why would you need to re-cyclye the tank? is it to get bacteria on the substrate and all that or is there specific algea or something that need to grow throught the tank?

If you have live rock and live sand, properly "seeded" with critters, then you will minimize the cycle as traditionally understood in fw (ammonia-nitrite cycle) and dramatically shorten the start-up time prior to adding fish and other livestock.

However, there is another, much more protracted but non-lethal algal cycle in reef systems that consists of various "blooms" of diatoms, cyanobacteria, and a variety of algae proper.

Hig Grade good quality live rock in the right quantitites will not make your tank cycle. Of course your tank will still get algea blooms as the silicates in the sand etc will promote a thte very least a diatom burst but the bacteria to sustain livestock will already be in place.

This doesnt mean you can rush out and fill the tank up to its limit immediately though, add a coupleo f sish and let this settle, then add more as the tank becomes more stable.

Hig Grade good quality live rock in the right quantitites will not make your tank cycle. Of course your tank will still get algea blooms as the silicates in the sand etc will promote a thte very least a diatom burst but the bacteria to sustain livestock will already be in place.

This doesnt mean you can rush out and fill the tank up to its limit immediately though, add a coupleo f sish and let this settle, then add more as the tank becomes more stable.

I've been wondering about this, have added 25Kg to my setup and am wondering when to add the CUC - presuming from what I've read (IF I've retained what I'm reading that is) that once the leves stay at 0, 0, <25 and ph around 8, and salinity @ around 1.0225 - it's a go for CUC?

Thanks.

very old thread.

but yeah, you leave the tank as just live rock becaise there is a chance some of the bacteria and critters in the rock will die, while you drive it home and scape etc. This causes the ammonia spike you MAY see. So you put the rock in, keep testing and once ammonia and nitrIte are 0 you would then complete a water change to get rid of as many NitrAtes possible.

its 1.025 for your salt in a reev btw not 1.0225 although i think that was a typo, best to check anyways

very old thread.

but yeah, you leave the tank as just live rock because there is a chance some of the bacteria and critters in the rock will die, while you drive it home and scape etc. This causes the ammonia spike you MAY see. So you put the rock in, keep testing and once ammonia and nitrIte are 0 you would then complete a water change to get rid of as many NitrAtes possible.

its 1.025 for your salt in a reev btw not 1.0225 although i think that was a typo, best to check anyways

Hi. Just realised what I'm doing, dragging up ancient calls, but seemed relevant. I've gone home for lunch and checked a couple things out, seems my SG is currently at 1.0240 at the moment, which has increased a little since adding the rocks maybe? Temperature is at 24/76. PH at 8.0 ,ammonia at 0 > 0.25 - will test the rest when I get home again.

looks ok then, the level of salt will increase as water evoporates ;)
when that ammonia is 0, test the others

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back