Why are Tetras So Hard to Catch?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sasha

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
-_- I was wondering why tetras are very difficult to catch? Today I decided to move my 4 Pristella tetras and 2 Neon tetras into my 29 gallon tank, where their colors are more intense in a natural environment. All of my guppies, mollies and platies simply WANT to be caught, so I often have to avoid it whenever the net goes into the tank. This is the method that I use when I have to catch my tetras . . .

:rolleyes: I attempt to net the tetras by chasing them around the tank a few times, learning which way is their "escape route." For these clever fish, they always slip through some plants in the right corner of my tank. Then, I set up a trap by placing my larger net in the plants, blocking their route where they always head to, so to trick them into going in the net and not around back. :shifty: With the smaller net I go after them and guide them toward their opening of the hidden net, which to them is still their "escape route." They all dash around and dart into the net, were I immedtiatly lift it up and capture them. Maybe tetras don't like to be caught. Does this happened to anybody else? :/

I had to catch 2 silver dollars this morning (I traded them in as they are still small but will get much too large for just a 55 gallon tank--not fair to the fish).
I wound up ripping up some of the plants, luckily they're all fake, so they couldn't go hiding in there. Something about those tetras...God just gave them extra speed I guess!! :flex: :flex:

I was changing the gravel in my 10 and I took almost all the water out and filled a bucket up to keep my fish in for a while. Well lets just say its harder than you'd think to catch serpae tetras in 2 inches of water :lol:

They're small so they're able to zip around unlike a large pleco or something.
Actually my neons were always MUCH easier to catch than my platies.

:flex: ♂ Yes, tetras can be very fast. Most smaller fish seem to be
fast, especially if they have to be (like being chased around with a net).
I have found whenever I need to catch a tetra, I have to take out virtually all
plants and decorations, and sometimes even lower the water level to be able to
net 'em. It's a pain, but about the only way to catch them. And I have had to
catch quite a few that I've had to remove due to aggression, unadaptability, etc.
The tetras I have now are a pretty good bunch.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back