Why are Snakeheads illegal in Ontario?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
From what i can remember, it's because owners let them go into the wild and they end up consuming alot of our fish in our lakes and ponds. Snakeheads don't really have a natural preditor in this area, therefor there is nothing out here to stop them. Plus they are pretty adapting to different situations, they can "walk" to other forms of water if a pond dries up, and stuff like that.

I heard some moron(s) dumped their snakeheads somewhere, the snakeheads bred, and killed off the local fish population, and they were banned from the US (Even the smaller snakeheads that don't get over a foot in length!)

It makes no sense to ban them from being shipped to Canada because they wouldn't survive the winters :/

They kill the ecology of any water system they inhabit and they are adaptable to the northern waters. If they get released into the great lakes, good bye fisheries and big business.

Kinda like the Zebra Mussel infestation of the great lakes.

I hate those Zebras. Cut my up good.

I heard that there are Piranhas in Lake Ontario, not a dangerous concentration, but they are there. Someone released them thinking they would die off and they adpated.

Neat story, kinda makes ya think twice about swimming though.

I WANT A SNAKEHEAD :angry:

--Dan

i think it was the February edition of Smithsonian magazine that had an article on why snakeheads are banned in the US. it was pretty interesting really, i meant to mention it sooner.

don't worry littlefishie, my roomate told me that piranahs are just attracted to the scent of human urine. (why she would know this is beyond me. :dunno: ) so unless you peed somewhere you shouldn't have, it was ok. :lol:

pica_nuttalli said:
don't worry littlefishie, my roomate told me that piranahs are just attracted to the scent of human urine. (why she would know this is beyond me. :dunno: ) so unless you peed somewhere you shouldn't have, it was ok. :lol:
But what if someone near me pees? :lol:

Eugh, I am never going in that lake again. EVER!

As if the gigantic 3 feet long catfish weren't enough [not to mention the 4ft whatever it was my ex's dad caught], now there's piranhas! I'll stay in the boat or on the shore, thanks. :whistle:

pica_nuttalli said:
I think your roomate was thinking of a different fish, some parasitic fish that is attracted to urine/ammonia (That's how it seeks out other fish) and it gois into a fish and sucks it's blood. You shouldn't pee in the water with those around. OUCH! :lol: DOn't worry, they live in south america ;)

Piranhas are attracted to blood, or struggling animals thrashing in the water :)

littlefishie said:
DannyBoy17 said:
I heard that there are Piranhas in Lake Ontario, not a dangerous concentration, but they are there. Someone released them thinking they would die off and they adpated.
Oh great, tell me that AFTER I've been swimming in that lake! :blink:
Dont swim in there. I swallowed some water once, grew an extra toe.

--Dan

You don't have any extra toes, you liar! I've seen your feet! :p

Though I did come out of the lake once with orange and green spots all over my legs.. I've only been back in twice since then, neither time my fault.. I'll have to tell you about it some time.

Now, the Niagara River is another story entirely..

littlefishie said:
You don't have any extra toes, you liar! I've seen your feet! :p
well, he didn't say it grew on his foot, did he? maybe it grew... somewhere else. :whistle:

yeah, i thought that was off about the piranahs. i just thought the idea of a *chick* peeing in the lake would be funny. she'd have to lean back from a tree or something... :lol: that or be a confident wader... :p

sorry; i specialize in not-helping, juevenile humor, and tangental conversations. oh and getting annoyed :flex: :p

save time! read smithsonian!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back