Why are my floating plants melting

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Could you recommend a product that is better than flourish? Or can i usr another product by seachem such as trace or advanced in addition?

You want a comprehensive (complete) fertilizer, meaning one that has all ingredients in the proportions needed by the plants. However, some of the 17 required nutrients occur naturally in the aquarium and should not/will not be included in fertilizers; these are oxygen, hydrogen and carbon.

Of the remaining 14, some are macro-nutrients and some are micro-nutrients. All of these are included in a few products. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti, and TNC Lite (this latter is available in the UK, perhaps not in Kuwait). If you can get the Flourish, it is good, but do not get the other individual nutrients, just the Comprehensive and the Flourish Tabs. It is true that calcium and magnesium are in limited quantity in these, but this may not be an issue depending upon your plants. I have had thriving planted tanks for years using this liquid (and the Flourish Tabs for larger rooted plants) and I have zero GH. You should pin down the GH of your water supply, it may be more than sufficient.

Photos of three of my tanks may illustrate. The first was my 5-foot 115g, the second the 70g before fish were added (plants came from other tanks), and the third the 40g now.

Attachments

• 115g Feb 24-15.JPG
    115g Feb 24-15.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 70g Feb 14-16.JPG
    70g Feb 14-16.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 53
  • 40g May 23 2020 (2).jpg
    40g May 23 2020 (2).jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
You want a comprehensive (complete) fertilizer, meaning one that has all ingredients in the proportions needed by the plants. However, some of the 17 required nutrients occur naturally in the aquarium and should not/will not be included in fertilizers; these are oxygen, hydrogen and carbon.

Of the remaining 14, some are macro-nutrients and some are micro-nutrients. All of these are included in a few products. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti, and TNC Lite (this latter is available in the UK, perhaps not in Kuwait). If you can get the Flourish, it is good, but do not get the other individual nutrients, just the Comprehensive and the Flourish Tabs. It is true that calcium and magnesium are in limited quantity in these, but this may not be an issue depending upon your plants. I have had thriving planted tanks for years using this liquid (and the Flourish Tabs for larger rooted plants) and I have zero GH. You should pin down the GH of your water supply, it may be more than sufficient.

Photos of three of my tanks may illustrate. The first was my 5-foot 115g, the second the 70g before fish were added (plants came from other tanks), and the third the 40g now.
Amazing my plants look nothing close to that!

We have tropica fertiliser and some by ada any of those you recommended? We also have some by tropical

Amazing my plants look nothing close to that!

We have tropica fertiliser and some by ada any of those you recommended? We also have some by tropical

I've not tried those brands. If you can provide a link to the product you are (or might) consider, I'll take a look and see if there is any reliable data we could use to assess them.

T
Of the two, my choice would be the first one, Tropica Premium Nutrition (orange bottle). Although it does not list the nutrients, it seems to be comprehensive. The absence of nitrogen and phosphorus is good, as there will be plenty of both from the fish being fed.
Thank you

Why not "specialized" one ?

It also has nitrogen (nitrate) and phosphorus, two nutrients that should never need to be added (except in high-tech method planted tanks, that is a very different thing). Nitrogen is ammonia/ammonium, and plants can take up a lot of this. And phosphorus is added with fish foods, more than the plants need in this sort of tank. And they warn of algae issues likely.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back