Why are my Amazon swords dying ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
I am new to plants , my experience in plants is turning my Marimo moss balls over ever week , about a month ago I buy some Amazon swords as I herd they are easy to grow and are very much for lazy plant keepers , but they seem to be dying , my tank is set at 26-27c is it too warm for them? They also get lots of natural light is that bad ? Like I said Iā€™m a complete amateur with plants and itā€™s really putting me off

Attachments

• E893F1C0-9D2E-4128-971C-1564CB69BB52.jpeg
    E893F1C0-9D2E-4128-971C-1564CB69BB52.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 138
They could be just melting after moving to a new home, remove dead growth and wait for new growth.
Can I just pull the brown leaves off the plant or remove the whole plant , Iā€™m not so concerned about the decay as I hear itā€™s good for my water ph as I keep soft water , is this correct information?

Can I just pull the brown leaves off the plant or remove the whole plant , Iā€™m not so concerned about the decay as I hear itā€™s good for my water ph as I keep soft water , is this correct information?
Just pull the brown leaves off. The plant can then focus it's energy in healthy shoots & producing new leaves.

Are you feeding the sword plant with any ferts at all.

These are heavy root feeders and will benefit greatly from having some ferts, in particular root tabs such as Seachem Flourish root tabs, a bit pricey but these are good.

Think that might do the trick in reviving them if you have not been giving them anything.

These are heavy root feeders and will benefit greatly from having some ferts, in particular root tabs such as Seachem Flourish root tabs, a bit pricey but these are good.

Think that might do the trick in reviving them if you have not been giving them anything.
I havent been feeding them anything I thought they just grew lol

I only wanted live plants for the benefit to the water , would moss balls just do the same ? I know there not as pleasing to the eye but Iā€™m just after the benefits of a planted tabk without the hassle lol I know it sound unreasonable

Agree with all of the above.

Just to add, you'd benefit from pulling the whole plant up just a little bit out of the gravel so that only the base of the plant and roots are underneath the gravel.

Agree with all of the above.

Just to add, you'd benefit from pulling the whole plant up just a little bit out of the gravel so that only the base of the plant and roots are underneath the gravel.
My cichlids just dig them out if I donā€™t bury them deep kind of thing just end up with floating plants lol

Byron on here explained that the old leaves are better to be left as the plant absorbs nutrients from them in order to feed new growth.

My understanding is that if they come away fairly easily with a tug then thats fine, otherwise let them be until they do

Byron on here explained that the old leaves are better to be left as the plant absorbs nutrients from them in order to feed new growth.

My understanding is that if they come away fairly easily with a tug then thats fine, otherwise let them be until they do
Iā€™m thinking about giving up on them completely and just get a load more moss balls as they seem indestructible lol

Iā€™m thinking about giving up on them completely and just get a load more moss balls as they seem indestructible lol
Patience! Plants need nutrients, and time to establish. A month is nothing, and your swords aren't even close to half dead, only a few browning leaves :p

Give them some time. Shove a root tab under the roots, then just leave them be for a couple more months. They're not doing harm unless every leaf was slimy and rotting, and they need more than four weeks to establish when moved and planted in a new place.

more light and iron based plant fertiliser will help your sword plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back