Who’s the culprit

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Ok on the week end I swapped most of my gravel to sand and purchased 5 peppered corys feeling bad for them because they were hiding I buy another 2 and put them in , it worked and the others came out and joined up with them , Problem the first 5 were around 3cm the second 2 were smaller around 1-2 cm I did a reshuffle on my tank last night and while the tank was empty I noticed only 6 corys with the smallest gone not even a body , can’t decide who would of killed it , geophagus? Electric blue acara? Colombian tetra? Or pleco , in fairness it was that small my pleco probably wouldn’t notice eating it but for some reason I have a hunch it was the tetra sounds daft but they do bunch in a 8 a they are bigger than the Cory was so possible they stressed and killed ?

It's amazing how good fish are at hiding, and it sounds like there's plenty of bigger fish for it to want to hide from.

Sounds like you've a lot in your tank?

It's amazing how good fish are at hiding, and it sounds like there's plenty of bigger fish for it to want to hide from.

Sounds like you've a lot in your tank?
I keep 4 electric blue acara 8 Columbian tetra 4 geophagus and 6or7 peppered corys and a sailfin pleco in a 5ft 500l tank I won’t be adding anything else

Ok on the week end I swapped most of my gravel to sand and purchased 5 peppered corys feeling bad for them because they were hiding I buy another 2 and put them in , it worked and the others came out and joined up with them , Problem the first 5 were around 3cm the second 2 were smaller around 1-2 cm I did a reshuffle on my tank last night and while the tank was empty I noticed only 6 corys with the smallest gone not even a body , can’t decide who would of killed it , geophagus? Electric blue acara? Colombian tetra? Or pleco , in fairness it was that small my pleco probably wouldn’t notice eating it but for some reason I have a hunch it was the tetra sounds daft but they do bunch in a 8 a they are bigger than the Cory was so possible they stressed and killed ?
Quite often if a fish dies other fish will eat it and there won’t be a trace of it .

Quite often if a fish dies other fish will eat it and there won’t be a trace of it .
I don’t expect to find a body to be honest because my pleco will eat anything just curious as to what happened, I didn’t expect any casualties as there is no agression in my tank at all , so I’m wondering if it died from stress or was killed kind of thing

I don’t expect to find a body to be honest because my pleco will eat anything just curious as to what happened, I didn’t expect any casualties as there is no agression in my tank at all , so I’m wondering if it died from stress or was killed kind of thing
Yeah there’s a good chance it died of Stress. first couple of days you bring new fish home there’s always a chance one or two won’t adapt for whatever reason. Sad but that’s life

Yeah there’s a good chance it died of Stress. first couple of days you bring new fish home there’s always a chance one or two won’t adapt for whatever reason. Sad but that’s life
Yeah I guess it was a little chap in a big world so to say

It’s possible that it died of natural causes and the pleco/Cory’s ate its body overnight, or before you could see it.

Seeing as Acara are cichlids are territorial and can be aggressive it could be them.
Most geophagus aren't aggressive or nippy though geophagus and corydora occupy the same area of the tank as both are bottom dwelling and sift through sand
Columbian tetra while can be nippy and boisterous to each other and other mid top swimmers don't generally bother corydoras that are armored and have spikes. Plecos don't have teeth nor do they attack fish. The only fish you have in your tank that are known for being aggressive and territorial and eating other fish are the Acara, which would be the most likely culprit

Seeing as Acara are cichlids are territorial and can be aggressive it could be them.
Most geophagus aren't aggressive or nippy though geophagus and corydora occupy the same area of the tank as both are bottom dwelling and sift through sand
Columbian tetra while can be nippy and boisterous to each other and other mid top swimmers don't generally bother corydoras that are armored and have spikes. Plecos don't have teeth nor do they attack fish. The only fish you have in your tank that are known for being aggressive and territorial and eating other fish are the Acara, which would be the most likely culprit
On paper I would completely agree with you but knowing my fish I can’t imagine my acara killing another fish , I only assumed pleco because it’s mouth is that large tht if the city was eating something he wanted I don’t think it would even notice swallowing it

On paper I would completely agree with you but knowing my fish I can’t imagine my acara killing another fish , I only assumed pleco because it’s mouth is that large tht if the city was eating something he wanted I don’t think it would even notice swallowing it
A pleco might munch on a dead fish but not attack one. Even if the Acara didn't attack the corydora, corydora are peaceful shy fish and Acara are semi to aggressive cichlids that would at minimum stress out a corydora.
Having said that a plecos nor any fish would be able to eat all of a cory, corydora have defensive spikes that would be hard to eat, usually when a cory dies and I'd eaten one will find the remaining skeleton with attached unconsumed spikes.

A pleco might munch on a dead fish but not attack one. Even if the Acara didn't attack the corydora, corydora are peaceful shy fish and Acara are semi to aggressive cichlids that would at minimum stress out a corydora.
Having said that a plecos nor any fish would be able to eat all of a cory, corydora have defensive spikes that would be hard to eat, usually when a cory dies and I'd eaten one will find the remaining skeleton with attached unconsumed spikes.
I have no idea what’s happened to the little chap lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back