Who's Says Shrimps Don't Attack?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
You shouldn't flush fish down the toilet, especially if they're still alive! :(

snazy said:

Will remind folks of a video posted on another thread showing the Amano attack  
http://s59.photobucket.com/user/Duskob/media/Aqua%20Videos/caridinaeatsfish.flv.html

Oh, wow.

That's a Wood Catfish, a very unhealthy and emaciated one which is why it allowed the shrimp to drag it about in the water. It wasn't a healthy fish, hence why the shrimp attacked it. Amano shrimp will attack dead, dying or ill fish. That fish was obviously ill at least.

Paradise3 said:

http://s59.photobucket.com/user/Duskob/media/Aqua%20Videos/caridinaeatsfish.flv.html

Oh, wow.

That's a Wood Catfish, a very unhealthy and emaciated one which is why it allowed the shrimp to drag it about in the water. It wasn't a healthy fish, hence why the shrimp attacked it. Amano shrimp will attack dead, dying or ill fish. That fish was obviously ill at least.

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that the catfish was not well.

I personally have had no issues with my amano shrimp.  

Well personally, I wouldn't want my shrimp to attack even a weakened fish before I am even able to attempt to cure that fish. If there was more than one amano that catfish would have been a gonner in minutes. And it wasn't even on the bottom but was swimming happily.

Wildbetta said:

Oh, wow.

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that the catfish was not well.

I personally have had no issues with my amano shrimp.  

I've also never had an issue and I kept mine with guppies, female betta's, rasboras and an otocinclus catfish(I had a group, he went psycho and wouldn't allow any more to live with him :/ ) and never had a problem. The only problem in my tank was the oto ;/ I knew they needed groups so I bought 4, 3 of them mysteriously died so after looking at my tank and figuring out there was nothing wrong I bought 3 more as groups are needed. Oh no, I then saw my oto going round attacking the other oto's who were all perfectly healthy... At one point the tank in question even housed BABY(less than an inch) paradise fish as mum and dad were starting to kick them out of their tank as they had 3 other batches of babies swimming round the tank and were caring for a 4th still in the nest.

Meeresstille said:
You shouldn't flush fish down the toilet, especially if they're still alive! :(
I didn't know that :/ how come?

well, because you know it toutures them, how would you like to get sucked down drains containing human waste?

Yeah good point! It was my mother who just grabbed him and flushed him :(

Liv15, you may want to tell your mom to not do that. Do a search on how to humanely euthanize a fish. There are a few options, and even some of those some people find unacceptable. The kindest one may be to use Clove oil, but there is a certain way to go about it!

I don't flush dead fish! You can bury them, throw them in the trash or put them in the compost! I wrap them in Newspaper and compost dead fish!

Okay thanks for the info, I will tell my mum that as well.

Never had an issue with my Amano shrimp attacking and killing anything even fish that are out of sorts, but why defend them, deny that they do it or make excuses for them "unhealthy and emaciated" the evidence is plain to see and been experienced by many fish keepers they can be terrors of the tank it happens

I never said they will absolutely never attack, just that the fish in that video was ill and therefore was easy to target and attack by the amano fish...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back