Who's Says Shrimps Don't Attack?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I once posted a classical photo on this forum..... of a Shrimp.... busy swallowing an adult (live) Platy..... and was severely reprimanded, (even as a mod on the forum) and sent to junk post immediately for posting such cruel material.... It did happen.... and... it does happen.... Shrimps do catch and eat your fish.....

It certainly does Ludwig, I remember one time my sister and I caught a heap of local creek shrimp as live food for my sisters Oscars, and rather then letting all the shrimp into the Oscar tank at once to just be killed and wasted we put most of the shrimp in another tank housing neon tetras. Within a very short spate of time we could see the macrobachium species of shrimp actively hunting and grabbing the tetras and eating them.

There could be something in the chunky and slim theory with these shrimp. Perhaps the chunky ones are female and like female mosquito's need a protein rich diet in order to breed.

And I also give my shrimp defrosted bloodworms they absolutely adore them, so maybe some of my "potential" fish eaters ( I don't have amano but I do have typus and other species of shrimp that could take a liking to eating fish), are getting the protein they crave, thus leaving my fish alone.

I used to have an amano shrimp tank and when i put an oto in there, he was gone within an hour >.<

My friend's shrimp ate her guppies.  She thought they were amano shrimp but to me they look too big (not like mine) and don't have that sort of dotty amano shrimp look, more clear, almost like they were plastic.

Red Cherry Shrimp are a lot smaller, and quite peaceful. They will munch on dead fish, but they won't hunt them!

Cherry shrimp are sweet little guys.  I used to have a fry/shrimp tank and they got along fine.  They would eat fry that didn't make it but never ever anything living.

ok new update..... i no longer have guppies left due to the feast the shrimps had. My cousin said he would take them off me but to keep them there few days as his wife was expecting. Since my last post they have now eaten a perfectly healthy Harlequin Rasbora. i only saw the body they were feasting on but the kids who saw the action advised that they ganged up on the fish.
I got hold of an ex-fish enthusiast who devoted most of his life to keeping and breeding fish, infact his whole house was full of tanks.... about 5 per room (dont ask! lol). hes now 70+. He came over and checked and he said that all four are defo amano shrimp and has heard of this happening before and not uncommon at all

My yamato (amano) shrimp ate 2 of my male guppies yesterday! I was so gutted. It just jumped on the guppy and by the time I separated them the guppy was alive but was just a body, no fins or tail! All the other fish then started pecking him so I flushed him down the toilet to put him out of his misery :( then later, I looked in my tank and in the weed was a dead guppy, no fins or tail! The shrimp must have had him too ( he was the smallest but still an average guppy size!) :( :'(

These amanos are either growing balls or are taking steroids lol.
Oh yeh maybe could be end of human race and time of the Yamato shrimp (prob call them self aryan race shrimp) and rule the 7 seas of the world!!!! Muhahhahahaha.
On serious note they ate my fancy unique guppies....

Man, these Amanos are pretty nasty to keep with any fish I suspect.

Might be best just to keep Amanos in a shrimp only tank but I don't fancy keeping any of these guys after watching that vid posted by KirkyArcher.

Methinks will just stick to my peaceful Red Cherry Shrimps........

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back