Who's next in my new 55 gallons?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Can you post a link to the city's site to see if we can spot the numbers?

Can you post a link to the city's site to see if we can spot the numbers?
Although i have nothing to hide (well not much), like most people, i don't want to expand on my precise location.
But i can do a screen capture the next time i go there. Right now i'm closing shop, maybe tomorrow morning but more probably on monday. But don't worry, even during the new year week-end, i'll be in the house to feed them at the regular time, open and close the lights in the right sequence to mimic the passing of the day-night and observe them a bit. Just not much time for the screen.
So, i might as well say it now:
Happy new year to you and to all, where ever you are! :)

In the UK, and probably other countries as well, water provider websites give two sets of information - water quality reports and hardness. Water quality reports usually contain the calcium level but this is not the same as hardness.
Hardness is the amount of divalent metals. This is mainly calcium with some magnesium and trace amounts of other metals. But hardness is expressed as if it was all calcium.
Some water providers do not give a number for hardness but use words and these words can be misleading. The words are usually those used by water softener manufacturers, and it is in their interest to make the water sound harder than it really is so they'll sell more of their product.

Many water providers in the UK give hardness as both words and numbers so it was easy to draw up a table. I do not know if water providers in other countries use the same words for the same numbers but it is worth considering.

A week late but here are the numbers i saw on the official city site. Sorry, it's not in English.
On Qa, highlighted in orange in Paint are 'dureté' which means 'hardness' and the 106 average of the tests made last august.
On Qb, are the number of tests that came higher than the government norms on various metals present in water, which is zero.

Probably not gonna change your mind but just to show i'm not (well, not completely at least) talking trough my hat. Not much time for debate here these days (family and work have taken over).
By the way, the fishes are still doing good and i'll write a bit more about the gouramis later.

A good day to all :)

Attachments

• water Qa_aug21.jpg
    water Qa_aug21.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 48
  • water Qb_aug21.jpg
    water Qb_aug21.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 51
Facts are facts, and these numbers are the facts. There is no debate over the numbers, they are what they are. The misunderstanding is over the definition of subjective terms. No where in scientific fact are these terms defined, so they mean what they mean to the person who uses them but may not necessarily have the same meaning to others. I may consider a temperature of 23 C as quite warm, but another person may consider it as anything but warm if they are used to 30C weather. The temperature does not change, just the subjective response.

A GH of 106 ppm or 6 dH is very soft water to an aquarist and does not contain sufficient mineral (calcium primarily) for fish that require water with a GH around 10-12 dH minimum. There is no argument here, it is scientific-proven fact that any qualified biologist/ichthyologist will confirm.

The effects upon the physiology of a fish in such conditions are there, and the fish does weaken over time. Any biologist will tell you this too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back