Who's eating my frog?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

savinthetank

Reaction score
1602796271848.png

This happened in the last 48 hours. 20 gallon tank with 4 ADF and 4 mystery snails (redness in frogs caused by lighting)
None of my other frogs have any damage to their webbing, and the red, unevenness makes me think this is physical damage vs. bacterial infection
Have you ever seen this in an ADF? How can I help her?

She can still swim to breathe and eat, just with some extra effort.

I've had many ADF's. They will nip at each other if given then chance.

They are very sensitive to water conditions. Don't feed the bloodworms! They will get dropsy and die. Keep an eye on them. Sometimes, for whatever reason, they will pick on each other. One gets sick, or puts its toe in the wrong place. These things will eat until they pop if you let them. If the others are lunging towards this one, you got your answer. Being aquatic frogs, they can be difficult to treat in any other way than water changes. They are that sensitive. Some folks have luck in other ways, but I have had dozens of these things over the years, and they are all.....unique. Just like us. They have personalities.

Don't feed the bloodworms!

No bloodworms?! Oh no, thatā€™s been my primary feed based on my aquarium stores recommendations. Iā€™ve been feeding a high quality freeze dried bloodworm mix for the past few months and havenā€™t seen any problems yet.. What Should I be feeding them? Can I supplement a better diet with a sprinkle of bloodworms?

There is actual aquatic frog sinking pellets you feed these guys. There are some types of bloodworms that don't cause issues in moderation, but as a primary food, not so much. Least not in my experience.

Remember that these little guys are practically blind too. So you should set up a.feeding spot in the tank, where they know they will find food. In the wild, the usually hide under rocks and stuff to avoid getting eaten, and they find food by quite literally bumping into it. They can smell, I believe, but they can't see very well...hence the feeding station. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but just the same location in the aquarium each time, so they know where to go look.

This is the stuff I use for ADF's.

20201015_210549.jpg

I feel a little better, I have those sinking pellets too. I generously feed bloodworms daily and then supplement with the pellets, Iā€™ll switch their feeding routine to rely more on pellets.

You can also use a sinking shrimp pellet occasionally as well. They'll eat those like I eat bacon. Just remember, they will indeed eat till they pop if you put enough in there. If in doubt, feed a little less, as they will be ok with less than more.

the red hole in its foot is a bacterial infection.

I can't offer advice on treatments because frogs are notoriously difficult to treat with chemicals.

Most reactions

Back