Whoa! Not Good! - Got Virus From This Site!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone start using Linux? The biggest benefit is lack of viruses and nowadays there's almost no difference in how it works and knowledge requirements from Windows or Macs. The worst problems I had was Firefox crashing when I tried to read my PMs (which I think was the case for everyone else too) and having everything in orange Comic Sans..

/me goes back under her rock.

Yea I was more than hacked off that nothing picked up the virus! I had both Norton and McAffee(sp) running and also Microsoft Security Essentials. All up to date. TBH Norton has been ditched, Norton never picks up anything anyways.

Have also got Malawarebytes (sp) and Sandboxie now and without Hijack this, i might not have been able to get rid of this virus.

Whats everyone else using? I dont want a Mac nd i hate firefox etc. I dont want to not use IE and change everything.

I dont want to not use IE and change everything.
You do realise that the latest versions of IE are similar to a lot of other browsers and pretty much all old versions are extremely susceptible to viruses?

Just out of curiosity.. what do you like about IE?

For a start, im busy trying to go back to an older version of IE as i just got the newest one and dont like it as much.

Its more to do with my dyslexia, i just find it so hard to use anything else (and i have tried!), my spelling is much better now from years on the forums lol but basic things leave me stumped and i have used IE since... well... forever... 10 years of IE on my own computers means i can cope and use it, to change to a new programme... the buttons are different, menus are different, they use different words, they work differently and i cant get used to it.

Not that Im just fussy :p

Yea I was more than hacked off that nothing picked up the virus! I had both Norton and McAffee(sp)

Running 2 anti-virus progs together can cause problems too, as they kinda 'bounce' off each other, unless set up right!
& no offence but norton sucks, most viruses are programmed to work along with that.

I use microsoft security essentials which is free. It alerted me when I came onto the site to the virus.

For a start, im busy trying to go back to an older version of IE as i just got the newest one and dont like it as much.

Its more to do with my dyslexia, i just find it so hard to use anything else (and i have tried!), my spelling is much better now from years on the forums lol but basic things leave me stumped and i have used IE since... well... forever... 10 years of IE on my own computers means i can cope and use it, to change to a new programme... the buttons are different, menus are different, they use different words, they work differently and i cant get used to it.

Not that Im just fussy :p
I can see how change would be difficult then.. the problem is that the longer you wait to change, the more likely you are to have problems and eventually you will have to change regardless of whether you want to or not, or give up the internet.

Yep I got it last week too. Using Firefox (I have since switched back to Opera). Gone off Firefox, it used to be more secure but it has certainly let a few nasties in the last couple of years. Haven't had anything come through Opera yet!

I use FF 4 and Norton on my laptop I got a notification a week ago, then yesterday. Both FF and norton were freaking out. Anyway norton has never failed me. It caught the virus and blocked some attempt to access my computer from this site a week ago. So far I am okay... but it could not give me any information on the recent Trojans it removed. When in doubt though I have malware bytes installed. Then UBCD has some anti-virus program on it.... Anti-vir maybe?

Honestly we have never had many problems with Windows. My family has 5-6 computers for various uses all on a wireless network along with some other devices. We rarely get viruses or malware on any of our computers. Its generally hardware issues when stuff goes wrong. That said none of our computers run vista. Only XP or windows 7.

Someone else mentioned linux lol. When windows fails I use bootable versions of linux OSs to run diagnostics. When I use to have vista on this laptop it ate though 2 HDDs. I haven't had Windows 7 for more then a year yet, but my newest aftermarket HDD is warranted for 5 years... so I am thinking I am good for a while. Curse HP though cuz I know I have a loose wire for my backlight :angry: . When I loose student prices for software I will probably use linux on my next computer.

I use Bitdefender and seldom get any problems at all. So far it has given me an alert once in a while on some sites but it just comes up with a short message saying it has dealt with a problem. For a browser, I use either Firefox or IE. Firefox is my usual browser but IE is sometimes required by a site that I visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back