Who will eat my Shrimp?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Irkrts

Reaction score
I currently have 3 Amano shrimp and 1 ghost shrimp, all fully grown in a shrimp only tank.

I was wondering who would eat them out of these possible tank mates? I want to move them into one of my 130L tanks.

I have two identical tanks so can move species between them to leave them only with friendly fish!

Who are the no’s and yes’s out of these:
Platy (not fully grown)
Swordtail (fully grown)
Albino cherry barb
Cardinal tetra
Rosy tetra
Buenos Aires tetra (going to get rehomed eventually)
Harlequin tetra
Clown loach
Kuhli loach
Unidentified algae eater but not Siamese or Chinese
White Cloud Mountain minnow
Hatchet fish
Corydora

Thank you for the advice!

No, nothing In that list will eat your shrimp. Some of the Tetras might nip at them, but the shrimp can out swim them. Is your tank heavily planted, and does it have a lot of hiding places?

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Kuhli Loaches only eat young shrimp fry and that's if they can catch them, They definitely won't bother adult shrimp.

I’ve been stalking other people’s fish mix online and haven’t found anyone mixing them with the platys or swordtails - does anyone have experience of this?

I’ve been stalking other people’s fish mix online and haven’t found anyone mixing them with the platys or swordtails - does anyone have experience of this?
I had ghost shrimp with platy and no issue.

I currently have 3 Amano shrimp and 1 ghost shrimp, all fully grown in a shrimp only tank.

I was wondering who would eat them out of these possible tank mates? I want to move them into one of my 130L tanks.

I have two identical tanks so can move species between them to leave them only with friendly fish!

Who are the no’s and yes’s out of these:
Platy (not fully grown)
Swordtail (fully grown)
Albino cherry barb
Cardinal tetra
Rosy tetra
Buenos Aires tetra (going to get rehomed eventually)
Harlequin tetra
Clown loach
Kuhli loach
Unidentified algae eater but not Siamese or Chinese
White Cloud Mountain minnow
Hatchet fish
Corydora

Thank you for the advice!
Cory's dont usually eat shrimp but mine have....

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Kuhli Loaches only eat young shrimp fry and that's if they can catch them, They definitely won't bother adult shrimp.
Many years ago I put a group of young, small clown loach in my 450 litre tank. I assumed my 6 amanos would be fine because everyone knows they are only food if they fit in their mouths. These shrimp were about the same length as the babies. Well the clowns worked as a team and cleared them in ten minutes flat. More recently my dwarf chain loach have used this same team approach to deal with snails that are bigger than themselves - i haven't tried putting shrimp in with them.

I have never kept kuhli loaches but since their natural food includes inverts I certainly would not risk it.

I have platys and swordtails and introduced 16 cherry shrimp to my tank... they were consumed immediately to horror of my 6 year old... be careful because most people seem to believe they will be fine together. Of course it seems to vary so if you choose to try shrimp with them maybe only try one or two initially. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back