Who to add to my 40 gallon next

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Austinhorseguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone
So glad to be part of the group. I've gotten great advice so far and I'm so appreciative for your help. I've listed my community fish on my profile so I won't repeat. I would like to add a few more to the group and looking for suggestions. My group all get along well with a little pestering here and there. My leaf has become very social and has never shown aggressive behavior to any of them But being who he is seems to keep him well respected. I really want to add a couple of other angels, what do you think. I am planning on upgrading to a 75 but a few months down the road.

40 gallon. 2 pleko. 2 koi angels. 5 yellow cichlids 1 male drawf gourami. 1 full grown 5 1/2 inch african leaf who loves them all!

maybe more gouramis?

im not sure if that is too much

There are serious stocking problems here that need to be sorted out. This means questions.

What are the water parameters, being GH, KH and pH of your source water?

What species are the "yellow cichlids?"

While waiting for this info which is crucial to any advice we can offer, I will mention that the two angelfish are not suited for a 40g tank. I know they are small now, and a larger tank may occur...but plans for larger/more tanks do not always come to fruition, and it is not fair to the fish to acquire them before you have a permanent life-long home. Depending upon the gender of the two angelfish, you may have serious issues waiting to spring up. I'll return to this aspect below.

The bush fish should be your main resident, and every other fish suited to this fish's requirements. This includes water flow from the filter, plants, dim lighting, parameters...lots to consider. But as you like the bush fish and intend keeping it, and it is OK in a 40g, the other inhabitants must be suited.

Now to the general aspect. When we put "x" fish together in a tank, they will react usually according to their genetic programming which we cannot change. While one would normally expect this or that behaviour in such circumstances, it may not always come about. The environment, both the good (favourable) aspects and the bad (inappropriate combinations, inappropriate decor, etc), does impact how a fish reacts to various circumstances. I don't know the cichlid species here, though I suspect being "yellow cichlids" they may be rift lake species, and this is a deadly match for angelfish and bush fish. The fact that you may not have seen physical interactions to make this obvious does not mean the fish are not suffering the consequences. Fish communicate via chemical signals, pheromones (read by others in that species) and allomones (read by fish in other species) and these can cause serious stress if they are negative. So please do not make the mistake of assuming that because you do not "see" trouble, it is not there. It is. Fish do not change their inherent genetic makeup to suit us.

The two angelfish, if they are both female, or if they are a male/female pair that have accepted each other and bonded, might be OK for the moment (ignoring the obvious serious issues of the other cichlid species). Adding two more is almost guaranteed to cause problems. This species is a shoaling fish, that live in groups and develop a pronounced hierarchy within the group, and they do this fairly quickly. In their natural habitats, the vast expanse of water means this plays out without incident (unless a fish becomes belligerent or ignores the dominant fishes). In the very small confines of even a very large aquarium, this can play out very differently. A group of no fewer than five must be introduced to a tank together, at the same time. How their hierarchy plays out depends upon circumstances and the fish. Right now you may not see any issues between the two, likely due to their fear of the yellow cichlids--which again you may not see, but it can still be there. We are dealing with living creatures that have evolved in species-specific ways, and this may play out according to the norm, or not. One should never hope for the exception, but expect the norm.

Thank you Byron for your time in assisting me with my tank. Here's what I got so far:
I use an aquaclear 3 part filtration system built for 50 gallon tank. I have only live plants and sparse floating plants and natiral wood and rock for decoration. My african leaf has two large hiding spots he enjoys. The other fish will use these hiding places as well. I have fairly calm waters and lots of small hiding spots for the fish. I was told these are african yellow cichlids but cant verify. Dont know the sex of my angels but they are bonded and larger than then the cichlids. The 5 cichlids don't really seem to be acting like a school. They go about their own ways however the larger one abour 2 inches seems to have an alpha type behavior.
Tank parameters remain very stable with almost no change. I use a master test kit at least every other day.
Temp. 82°
PH. 7.0
Amoninia. 0
Nitrates. 0
KH 6
GH. ?? I only use RO water and sometimes DI because I am on a well with very iffy hard water. Ive been using Equilibrium to restore my mineral and GH balance but have not even been able to get a reading. (Yellow to green). My soft water must be through the charts!
I just took a video of my aquarium at feeding time so you could view their interaction but now must learn how to post it on UTube (I guess) with a link for you. So far thats all I have.
Thanks
Gary

There are serious stocking problems here that need to be sorted out. This means questions.

What are the water parameters, being GH, KH and pH of your source water?

What species are the "yellow cichlids?"

While waiting for this info which is crucial to any advice we can offer, I will mention that the two angelfish are not suited for a 40g tank. I know they are small now, and a larger tank may occur...but plans for larger/more tanks do not always come to fruition, and it is not fair to the fish to acquire them before you have a permanent life-long home. Depending upon the gender of the two angelfish, you may have serious issues waiting to spring up. I'll return to this aspect below.

The bush fish should be your main resident, and every other fish suited to this fish's requirements. This includes water flow from the filter, plants, dim lighting, parameters...lots to consider. But as you like the bush fish and intend keeping it, and it is OK in a 40g, the other inhabitants must be suited.

Now to the general aspect. When we put "x" fish together in a tank, they will react usually according to their genetic programming which we cannot change. While one would normally expect this or that behaviour in such circumstances, it may not always come about. The environment, both the good (favourable) aspects and the bad (inappropriate combinations, inappropriate decor, etc), does impact how a fish reacts to various circumstances. I don't know the cichlid species here, though I suspect being "yellow cichlids" they may be rift lake species, and this is a deadly match for angelfish and bush fish. The fact that you may not have seen physical interactions to make this obvious does not mean the fish are not suffering the consequences. Fish communicate via chemical signals, pheromones (read by others in that species) and allomones (read by fish in other species) and these can cause serious stress if they are negative. So please do not make the mistake of assuming that because you do not "see" trouble, it is not there. It is. Fish do not change their inherent genetic makeup to suit us.

The two angelfish, if they are both female, or if they are a male/female pair that have accepted each other and bonded, might be OK for the moment (ignoring the obvious serious issues of the other cichlid species). Adding two more is almost guaranteed to cause problems. This species is a shoaling fish, that live in groups and develop a pronounced hierarchy within the group, and they do this fairly quickly. In their natural habitats, the vast expanse of water means this plays out without incident (unless a fish becomes belligerent or ignores the dominant fishes). In the very small confines of even a very large aquarium, this can play out very differently. A group of no fewer than five must be introduced to a tank together, at the same time. How their hierarchy plays out depends upon circumstances and the fish. Right now you may not see any issues between the two, likely due to their fear of the yellow cichlids--which again you may not see, but it can still be there. We are dealing with living creatures that have evolved in species-specific ways, and this may play out according to the norm, or not. One should never hope for the exception, but expect the norm.

The video has answered some questions. First, the yellow cichlids are rift lake cichlids (not too up on species with this group of fish so others who are may have more), but they absolutely must have harder water and a higher pH [your well water may be ideal on its own, if you can determine the GH]. And they should not be combined with any other fish except those occurring in the rift lakes. Aside from the biological issues that are clearly and certainly affecting the rift lake fish (there is evidence of this in the video), there are problems for the other species arising from the rift lake cichlids. And I have never seen rift lake fish act in this skittish a manner, but again I will leave it for the cichlid members to explain better than I can. I would just say all is certainly not well here.

The angelfish and leaf fish are not liking each other. At the moment the angelfish generally seems to be winning, and it is not a major confrontation yet, but this will likely get much worse over time. If you value your leaf fish, move it out of this tank into its own. Or remove the angelfish and provide a suitable environment for the leaf fish. [The rift lake cichlids cannot be with either of these species.] The interaction between the two angelfish is not conclusive for me to determine gender, and I can't say how this factor may play out. They may at the moment be tolerating each other more in order to better handle the aggression from the other fish. Angelfish are after all a shoaling fish, and safety in numbers applies to the species in adverse circumstances.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back