Who knows Ozone? Hot in the 1970's as high tech must have.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I remember Ozone as the cure all for bad water quality. They sold small Ozone makers and a local fish store had one going.. I think,you could smell it in the air. Don't hold me to that.
Just like the DSL trickle filters of the 90's...nobody uses them.
Heck,Floss is nearly extinct and I know it works. Funny what comes and goes in the hobby.

Hmmm, ozone is actually detrimental to human health, maybe that's why ozone makers aren't sold any more in case we damage ourselves. And then sue the manufacturer.

My room air purifier has a built in ozone emitter feature that I turn on. It also has an ultraviolet light and a hepa filter. I’ve been using it for about a year and a half and I’m still alive.;) I feel it makes the air smell cleaner and helps clear the room of cigar smoke :big_boss: And it helps improve the ozone layer in the atmosphere so I am doing my part to help lower climate change. :)

Last edited:
I wonder how Ozone does when used in plant aquariums? Sounds like a good blue green algae killer,but that's a guess. I would guess it boosts plant growth? Like Co2 in the day,,Ozone at night?

I was told years ago in chemistry lectures that people used to go to the seaside to breathe in ozone, when ozone is actually damaging to health. In recent years I researched and found it can damage our lungs. Maybe I am over-reacting for people who don't have lung conditions, but I am asthmatic and ozone can make asthma worse so I wouldn't want to generate ozone in my home.

For example, the data in this

My room air purifier has a built in ozone emitter feature that I turn on. It also has an ultraviolet light and a hepa filter.
Are you sure it's Ozone in the air filter and not an ioniser, which puts ions into the air to cause fine dust particles to clump together and settle?

Either way you don't want to be in the room when these units are on. Ozone is harmful and damages plastic, rubber, and organic matter like skin, blood, plants and everything living in the aquarium.

Air purifiers that emit ions usually recommend being out of the room when the ioniser is running.

---------------
Ozone generator were sold right into the late 80s and early 90s, but were mainly targeted at marine aquariums and in particular, protein skimmers in marine aquariums. The idea was the ozone was meant to help improve the efficiency of the protein skimmer, however it didn't really make any difference. The water from the protein skimmer then had to be filtered through carbon to remove the ozone so it didn't get into the tank.

It’s actually has an ionizer built in . Ionizers do emit a small amount of ozone. Here is a quote from Wikipedia:
“Ions versus ozone
Ionisers are distinct from ozone generators, although both devices operate in a similar way. Ionisers use electrostatically charged plates to produce positively or negatively charged gas ions (for instance N2− or O2−) that particulate matter sticks to in an effect similar to static electricity. Even the best ionisers will also produce a small amount of ozone—triatomic oxygen, O3—which is unwanted. Ozone generators are optimised to attract an extra oxygen ion to an O2 molecule, using either a corona discharge tube or UV light.”

Last edited:
Ozone, as in the ozone layer? (I am going through this stupid stuff in school right now. :rolleyes:)

(Aka chlorofluorocarbons?) :lol:

Yep, ozone as in the ozone layer, which has been damaged by CFCs.

There is a hole that appears in the ozone layer above Western Australia every spring and we have to be careful because the UV light from the sun is normally filtered out to a degree by the ozone layer. But in spring, the UV light can get straight to the earth and we can get bad sunburn when the UV level is only 3 or 4.

Latest research has shown an improvement in the ozone layer due to the reduction in CFCs in the atmosphere. And this has lead to the hole in the ozone layer getting smaller each year. But it's going to take a while before it stops appearing and the ozone layer is repaired.

Go ozone layer!
Not sure what it does to fish and plants.

Ozone may or may not be harmful depending on the dose. Too much is harmful. But a small amount can kill bacteria and viruses. And I have read that UV and plant growth can cause some ozone to develop in water. Like hydrogen peroxide ozone can kill algae. So it isn't all harmful but that is the limit of my knowledge on this subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back