Who keeps barbs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bigroof

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Do any of you guys/girls keep barbs currently? What is the set up like? The tank size and what type of barbs you keep and the other fish you keep with them. I wanted to make a barb tank before but never really did. I want to start one now, hopefully. Was curious what others have got and their experience is like with them.

Do you want large Barbs or small Barbs? Do you want an aggressive tank or a peaceful tank?

Do you want large Barbs or small Barbs? Do you want an aggressive tank or a peaceful tank?

Well it all depends. I haven't come to any thing concrete yet on what i like. I seem to love all the barb species. From tigers to cherrys. I just wanted to know other peoples set ups are like and how they finding it before finalising any thing.

There are also Tinfoil Barbs, Longfin Barbs. Tigers are angry, Cherry Barbs are little babies. Checkered Barbs are lovely, Rosy Barbs are crazy. Golden Barbs are big softies and it goes on and on.

I have a 200 gallon heavily planted tiger barb tank. Currently home to 12 cherry barbs, one rainbow shark, 24 "normal" tiger barbs, 24 green tiger barbs and 12 gold/albino tiger barbs (which will come up to 24 next month and finish the tank off).

I love it. My favourite tank. Constant activity, they swarm and beg for food, get on really well. The occasional spar between them as they establish the pecking order but no aggression.

PXL_20220402_100226432.jpg
PXL_20220407_150624152.jpg

I have a 200 gallon heavily planted tiger barb tank. Currently home to 12 cherry barbs, one rainbow shark, 24 "normal" tiger barbs, 24 green tiger barbs and 12 gold/albino tiger barbs (which will come up to 24 next month and finish the tank off).

I love it. My favourite tank. Constant activity, they swarm and beg for food, get on really well. The occasional spar between them as they establish the pecking order but no aggression.

View attachment 158114View attachment 158115
Couple of videos to go with (albeit a couple of months ago)

Wow such a cool setup. 200 gallons is plenty of swimming space for them. All the plants and the different colour morphs of the tiger barbs looks fantastic.

Love Barbs🙂 lovely active fish with insane colours. Ive got 6 specie of barbs
Denison,Rosy,Black ruby, Odessa,Pentazona and Cherry

Small barbs (Cherry,Pentazona) live with each other along with danios, cories and Amano shrimp.

Bigger barbs now live in my cichlid tank along with silver dollars, pictus and hoplo catfish and a pleco🙂

Love Barbs🙂 lovely active fish with insane colours. Ive got 6 specie of barbs
Denison,Rosy,Black ruby, Odessa,Pentazona and Cherry

Small barbs (Cherry,Pentazona) live with each other along with danios, cories and Amano shrimp.

Bigger barbs now live in my cichlid tank along with silver dollars, pictus and hoplo catfish and a pleco🙂

Sounds good. What are the tank sizes? And how many are in the tank if you dont mind of each species.

Sounds good. What are the tank sizes? And how many are in the tank if you dont mind of each species.
Sadly numbers are down now as ive had them a fair few years and im retiring some of the groups to move on to other species.

In the 29g i have
6 Pentazona
8 Cherry (original group was 12)

Bigger barbs are now in a 125g
Odessa 4 (9)
Rosy 4 (12)
Black Ruby 2 (6)
Denison 4 (6)

I was going to add to the groups again when i upgraded but decided to try Cichlids out

I can recommend Odessa barbs.Great colours and shoals well.Also five banded barbs are worth a look at.

Barbs come in all sizes and behavior style. I have inch long jae that feed and live quietly in slow moving tanks, and I've had rosy barbs that crashed around like young dogs. African or Asian, big or small - barbs are great fish and your question is murder to answer. It's easy with the 'yes' and 'no' part, but after that, things get complicated fast.

i love your tank!
now i can also classify my tank as heavily planted lol
i thought heavily planted meant barely able to see the fish

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back