Who are Breeding fish, or have bred fish that they are proud of.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

itiwhetu

Naturally First
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
I have bred a number of fish most probably a hundred species.

What have you bred, that have made you go, Really they spawned!!.

The two that I'm most proud of are Silver Dollars and Kissing Gourami's. I have dozens of near misses with things like Chocolate Gourami's, Butterfly fish, Kuhli loaches. But they are near misses.

There are also things like breeding pure Black Angels, and taking Red Swordtails back to there green natural color.

What cool stuff have you done,

Ive only had two breeds breed, though Iā€™ve only ever had two species tanks.
Guppies back during the local early 70s guppy craze though they were more problem causing than pride inducing.
Thereā€™s six Mozzyz (Heterandria Formosa) fry that I know of in my 15G that werent added by me so Iā€™m pretty chuffed about that.
Once Iā€™ve adopted the fish from across town from the family moving up north Iā€™m gonna try a little breeding project. Medaka probably.
WCMMs will be going in a species external tub next spring so Iā€™ll be picking brains on here about getting em breeding in there.

Last edited:
Ive only had two breeds breed.
Guppies back during the local early 70s guppy craze though they were more problem causing than pride inducing.
Thereā€™s six Mozzyz (Heterandria Formosa) fry that I know of in my 15G that werent added by me so Iā€™m pretty chuffed about that.
Once Iā€™ve adopted the fish from across town from the family moving up north Iā€™m gonna try a little breeding project. Medaka probably.
WCMMs will be going in a species external tub next spring so Iā€™ll be picking brains on here about getting em breeding in there.
Come back and ask I breed WCMM outdoors every summer in ponds and sell them to the LFS.

I Just posted this image on another thread and thought it should come onto this one as well
022.JPG

I will add to this post. The fish above were in a 250 liter tank and there were 60 of them. Sort of makes"Seriously Fish" information look inaccurate.

Discounting my early livebearers, guppies and swordtails, I suppose the ones I was most proud of where my Kribensis.
These were a pair in a relatively busy, community, 30 gallon tank.
I noticed that she had laid eggs on a piece of slate I'd placed in there, just for decor and was guarding, with him, that small section of the tank.
I quickly prepared some more slate and created a cave for her and the little ones and, sure enough, after a time, she emerged with a swarm of fry, swimming around both her and the father.

Then things got...er...'interesting'.

Remember...this was a "relatively busy, community, 30 gallon tank."
They were great parents. Usually, she would have the little ones and he would clear the way, as they made their procession around the tank.
A great learning experience for Yours Truly.
I soon sussed out how unfair it was for the other fish, which included a large Angel, (yes...I know :rolleyes: ), to be packed into one small third of the aquarium and so I quickly cycled another tank.
I chose not to move the Kribs and, instead, moved other fish to the extra tank.

The little ones grew quickly and I then got yet another tank, to grow them up in. These were eventually passed onto other fishkeeping buddies and sold to a local fish shop.

I tend to forget just how lucky I can be in fishkeeping, so when adding a male and a female in a good tank, some breeding is always a possibility. With this in mind, I always have the capacity to create another tank and this is just as well, given my Cockatoo Apistos have just decided to further their genes.

I've bred a lot of the easier tetra species and a few of the more common shell/cave dwelling cichlids. Tetras where generally fairly easy, was mostly just doing what I would normally do anyway but move them around a bit when they are ready to spawn. The Cichlids where pretty much the same too.

I have to say the the most satisfying ones are when it was completely unexpected. Just suddenly find fry in a community tank.

One day I do plan to breed Cardinal tetras. Back when I was into breeding fish they weren't really being bred in captivity at all. There was a few people that claimed they had success doing things like lowering water quality/simulating rainfall and a bunch of other stuff but nobody really had the answers to do it repeatedly. I think now a lot of people are managing to do it consistently though so would be fun to do. Cardinal tetras have always been some of my favorite fish.

Discounting my early livebearers, guppies and swordtails, I suppose the ones I was most proud of where my Kribensis.
These were a pair in a relatively busy, community, 30 gallon tank.
I noticed that she had laid eggs on a piece of slate I'd placed in there, just for decor and was guarding, with him, that small section of the tank.
I quickly prepared some more slate and created a cave for her and the little ones and, sure enough, after a time, she emerged with a swarm of fry, swimming around both her and the father.

Then things got...er...'interesting'.

Remember...this was a "relatively busy, community, 30 gallon tank."
They were great parents. Usually, she would have the little ones and he would clear the way, as they made their procession around the tank.
A great learning experience for Yours Truly.
I soon sussed out how unfair it was for the other fish, which included a large Angel, (yes...I know :rolleyes: ), to be packed into one small third of the aquarium and so I quickly cycled another tank.
I chose not to move the Kribs and, instead, moved other fish to the extra tank.

The little ones grew quickly and I then got yet another tank, to grow them up in. These were eventually passed onto other fishkeeping buddies and sold to a local fish shop.

I tend to forget just how lucky I can be in fishkeeping, so when adding a male and a female in a good tank, some breeding is always a possibility. With this in mind, I always have the capacity to create another tank and this is just as well, given my Cockatoo Apistos have just decided to further their genes.
I love community breeding. I have bred for many years in tanks for a purpose. But community breeding fish is way more rewarding for the fish and the people. In the bottom of the Silver Dollars were Sterbii and Green cats spawning as well

I require contraception for my Cories...the BN's cannot keep up on the egg munching ;)

First batch of Cories was around 7 years ago. Within the first fortnight of having the little hooligans they were spreading eggs everywhere...and that continued in spectacular fashion. Within six months, the cute little Cories with their little whiskers and twitchy noses had gone from the original 6 to well over 30 and two extra aquariums.

Thankfully at the time I was able to have an almost local LFS come round up a few. I still have a few of the original six's grandcories and they have managed to replicate themselves more times than I care to count....the BN's are fat and not in the mood for their usual wafers.

So if anyone has any ideas on Cory contraception..... ;)

The only other fish to surprise me with offspring were a pair of Gold Rams......their youngster is adult now and enjoying life in another aquarium.

Iv Bred hundreds of electric blue acara and only ever kept one still have him and his mom my corys breed regularly but that just happens no effort made I always like when effort into breeding a fish results in actually fry accidentally breeding is cool just doesnā€™t have the same sweetness

My highest achievement in the hobby was to breed wild discus. Here is a video of the proud Cuipeua parents with their 10-day old fry attached to their bodies:

And here are the grown up babies 6-months later.

Guppies, goldfish, White Cloud Mountain minnows, and a couple small tetras. Mostly by accident.

My Cory Hastatus bred. I was absolutely amazed. They were in my 55 gallon tank, I moved from plants from my 55 to my 10 to set up for I canā€™t remember what, mustā€™ve been an egg on the plants cause Iā€™m looking around a week or so later, and thereā€™s a Cory fry! I moved my 3 Cory Hastatus adults to the 10 (yup, there were only three, and they bred. I got them when I was new to the hobby snd didnā€™t known they needed a group. Iā€™ve spent the last year trying to find some more but theyā€™re basically non existent here) and I figured theyā€™d need some conditioning and whatnot, I was gonna get sone IAL, but within three weeks there were over 40 fry! Unfortunately none of them made it, so I started learning more about raising the fry and will do better if they ever have more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back