Whites Tree Frog Problem

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

crazyforcordoras

CLASH OF CLANS!!!!
Reaction score
Hey All!

Im starting to worry about one of my Whites tree frogs Calvin. He gets diarrhea sometimes. I cant find any reason why, hes eating, soaking, and very active. Could someone help me here? I dont know what to do.... Hecant die, ive hadhim for 2 years! :unsure: :/

What are the main foods that your feeding Calvin? Is it mostly mealworms? or another fairly rich liquid insect? I find cockaroaches, grasshoppers (my huge local wild frogs also relish big locusts being hand fed to them), mole crickets and field crickets are all eaten with gusto as are quite a few beetle breeds. We have pest (intoroduced geckos) here in Australia too and my frogs (well my wild back patio visiting green tree frogs)
are quite partial to eating them, some of my bigger ones will even eat mice.

Do you notice the diorrhea after a particular meal that you have fed Calvin?
Great frog by the way, I have always loved green tree frogs

Personally, I would be looking around for a vet that would be willing to test fecal samples. Even if the vets don't deal with reptiles, most have/use a lab for samples...

In my mind, the first thing that springs to mind is 'Stress', be it humans, mammals or reptiles... stress is the most common cause of diarrhoea. Is it in relation to him being handled or his cage being clean and is he still getting on with his mate? (i think you had two? dont know if they live together....)

The second (and probably more likely as im sure he probably isnt stressed) is that it is an internal parasite. Definately speak to your vet to get the right treatment!! It is most likely a very easy cure but potentially fatal if left for long untreated.

Good luck :)

:good:

Thanks guys! Him and my other one do live together. He gets diarrhea once every couple months, dont know why. I dont handle him too much, try to limit it to 1 or 2 times very couple days. Ill see if i can find a vet.

His main diet consists of crickets, and i feed him and his frien mealworms once a week, and waxworms very occasionally(cause they are very high in fat)

Definately find yourself a vet that will know which wormer is safe for frogs, treat both of them, certainly wont hurt! Should just be a case of putting paste in their mouth. I just think it best be safe to work out what medication is safe for amphibs as they are really delicate.

Could it be in relation to you doing a big cleanout of their tank/vivarium? That could stress them out for a week or two afterwards until they get used to it all again?

Calvin would be veryeasy to deworm. He eats everything that comes his way.

They could be stressed, but the diarrhea happened before i cleaned the tank.

Thanks for your help!

I know Beaphar do a treatment for worming reptiles and I think it says for amphibians too, i'm not sure if its a UK brand though.. but the main ingrdiant is Levamisole if that helps..

Its a good wormer, bit like white paint lol. Had to use it to dose the alpacas on the farm on a regular basis. 800 animals twice a year plus 250 babies twice a year. And most of the devils spit it right back :crazy:

No idea if it is good for amphibians though?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back