White stuff in my Axie tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kaleidoscope

Reaction score
Hello. I had this white stuff starting to grow on a piece of mopani wood and now it's starting to float at the surface. I did some researching but all I could find was where the white stuff was actually on the axolotls which said it was fungus. Neither of my axies have it on them, nor do the minnows in the tank. The only areas its on is the mopani wood and now a bit on the surface. I want to just scrub it off and hope all is well but I wanted to check on here first just in case. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• white stuff.jpg
    white stuff.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 55
it's fungus from the wood.

take the wood out and hose it off.
do a huge water change.

monitor the axolotls and if they get sick or stop eating while the wood and fungus are in the tank, remove the wood and do not put it back in.

it's fungus from the wood.

take the wood out and hose it off.
do a huge water change.

monitor the axolotls and if they get sick or stop eating while the wood and fungus are in the tank, remove the wood and do not put it back in.
i think boiling it would do good if the wood is hard enough

You don't have to boil driftwood. It doesn't get boiled in the wild and I have never boiled it.
oh i dont mean like actual driftwood i mean like chunks of normal wood that have been sitting outside for a long time not in saltwater
last time i didnt do that with mine and it grew mold

I have the same thing (white mold) on my mopani wood, it's completely harmless and will go away on it's own. You can vacuum it off for aesthetics if you like but it won't hurt anything it just looks wonky.

Spoke with someone I know who is pretty knowledgeable and he said its just biofilm and there's no need to be alarmed. I cleaned out the surface stuff and most of the stuff on the mopani wood piece. Going to just keep an eye on it to see if it settles itself down and if it doesn't, I'll take more drastic measures.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back