White Spot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

f111shy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey guys just added my calculated dose of whitespot treatment to the water and it has turned the tanks water turquoise? and it has no instructions to whether i need to do a water change before the next dose can anyone help me with a schedule for dosing and water changing ?

cheers

Is it Protozin by Waterlife? I remember that turned my tank blue. And if it doesn't tell you to change water, then don't change water. You could try ringing their Customer Care Line, if that would help.

yerh thats the one :) because you have used it in the past what was your plan of action ? and did it ork most importantly?

cheers

Just got rid of white spot myself (thankfully). Cranked my temp up to 29 celsius & used King British methylene blue. The recommended dosage for this was every 4 days but didn't mention water changes but I've read elsewhere that water changes are beneficial. So at the end of the 4 days I chang 50% of the water & re add the methylene blue. Hope this helps :)

cheers fella, :) ive got a dosage regime on the back use on days 123 & 6 so in the two day gap do you think maybe it would be worth doing a water change?

karl.

Personally I would wait until after the final dose, in this case the 6th day. Does it say anything about repeating the process? If so, do it before yoy restart the process

yerh thats the one :) because you have used it in the past what was your plan of action ? and did it ork most importantly?

cheers

I followed the dosage regime to the letter, I didn't change water (if it were necessary, then the instructions would tell you to do so), and it worked perfectly.

ah brilliant :) bearing in mind my tank is a 15 litre ? would that not make the dilution of the treatment very harsh within the water ?

Personally I would wait until after the final dose, in this case the 6th day. Does it say anything about repeating the process? If so, do it before yoy restart the process
no it doesnt what i typed was the only instructions given the rest of the bottle is covered in warnings that took me ten mins to read :L but if the white spot is not gone within the six days should i repeat it ?

It's surprising that there aren't any instructions for repeating.

I think in your case it's 6 days isn't it? I'd treat for 6 days, leave it a day or 2, do a 50-75% water change & then start the 6 day treatment over again but only adding around 50% as much medicine as there will already be some in the water.

BUT, that's just what I would do, & I'm by no means an expert.

If you haven't already I'd increase your tank temp to around 30 celsius as the Ich parasite simply can't survive in these temperatures, so as soon as it bursts out of the white cyst on the fish with it's thousands of parasite buddies then they should all be fried within a couple of hours, as well as being more susceptible to your medication.

Hope this helps :)

It's surprising that there aren't any instructions for repeating.

I think in your case it's 6 days isn't it? I'd treat for 6 days, leave it a day or 2, do a 50-75% water change & then start the 6 day treatment over again but only adding around 50% as much medicine as there will already be some in the water.

BUT, that's just what I would do, & I'm by no means an expert.

If you haven't already I'd increase your tank temp to around 30 celsius as the Ich parasite simply can't survive in these temperatures, so as soon as it bursts out of the white cyst on the fish with it's thousands of parasite buddies then they should all be fried within a couple of hours, as well as being more susceptible to your medication.

Hope this helps :)

Raising the temp increases the metabolism of the whitespot protozoa, and therefore speeds up their lifecycle.

Cranking the temperature up won't kill the parasites, it will only speed up the cycle (which is beneficial), otherwise we wouldn't need any medications, just higher temps.

so no high temp ? and do a water change after the six days and repeat the process even if the parasite has gone?

cheers :)

Yes to the high temp, because that speeds up the life cycle of the parasite and makes it that much easier for the medication to work in a few days. Then I'd do a water change and repeat the process. This assures that it's gone, because you can't really tell if it's gone just because the symptoms disappear. It's like stopping your dose of penicillin because you feel better.

Sorry guys, I read on the Internet during my research that Ich "cannot survive" in high temps, about 27 celsius, obviously I've read wrong, thanks for clearing that up :)

Whilst we're on the subject which mwdicine do you think is best for Ich?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back