White Spot (only one)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

LTexas

Reaction score
Iā€™ve had guppies on and off. I recently purchased this one and she was fine in when I got her. Few days later she developed this big white spot on her tail, both side. She moves around fine and all the other fish are clear. I wonder if itā€™s just something that happens or if I need to do something about to save her and the other fish

Attachments

• 5ED2C1EF-CEDD-4C9F-AE4B-B0A09D0B9009.jpeg
    5ED2C1EF-CEDD-4C9F-AE4B-B0A09D0B9009.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 80A83898-ED6B-4ABE-846A-762988D3A7FE.jpeg
    80A83898-ED6B-4ABE-846A-762988D3A7FE.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DEEE0FD4-1D94-4080-AC08-E46117702CEF.jpeg
    DEEE0FD4-1D94-4080-AC08-E46117702CEF.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 85
Looks like it could be either TB or just a bruise. Or a fungal infection. Did it show up suddenly or develop and grow?

Suddenly. Should I quarantine her? I dont want to harm the other fish

If it appeared suddenly, it leads me to believe that itā€™s probably just a bruise. My advice would be to monitor her condition and perform daily water changes on the tank sheā€™s in. You can quarantine her if you would like. If the spot increases in size, definitely quarantine her. Iā€™m sure somebody else will chime in with a more expert opinion, but that is what I would personally do. What other fish do you have in the tank?

You can also treat lightly with a bacterial or fungal medication like ParaGuard as a precautionary measure because she may be more susceptible to disease in her current condition.

Sounds good, it havent increased in size the past day but I will watch it. I have one male guppy, 3 other female, 2 tetras and an algea eater. 20 gallon tank.

Sounds good, it havent increased in size the past day but I will watch it. I have one male guppy, 3 other female, 2 tetras and an algea eater. 20 gallon tank.
Sounds like a pretty good setup. The male guppy probably chased her into a wall or something. I would personally get at least 4 more tetras (unrelated to your current issue). Theyā€™re happiest in groups of 6 or more- plus arguably the most fascinating aspect of tetras is their shoaling/schooling behavior and this would allow them to do that.

Do the one fish per gallon still apply? I love tetras I just donā€™t want to overpopulate.

Do the one fish per gallon still apply? I love tetras I just donā€™t want to overpopulate.
They do. It usually equates to around 1 inch of fish per gallon. It sounds like youā€™d probably have room in your tank unless you had different plans for it. What kind of bottom feeder? A bristlenose pleco? Something larger/smaller?

I have a plecostomus that itā€™s about 4 years old
He is about 3 inches long. I was going to try to breed guppies. I have two pregnant ones, no babies yet.

Attachments

• C125C42C-46C8-4FC2-B32C-69765C809C3A.jpeg
    C125C42C-46C8-4FC2-B32C-69765C809C3A.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 72
  • E22CA57A-0F68-4135-B65C-6B52D0F365A0.jpeg
    E22CA57A-0F68-4135-B65C-6B52D0F365A0.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DFEC676B-0543-48E7-BBE4-25F880460C9C.jpeg
    DFEC676B-0543-48E7-BBE4-25F880460C9C.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 62
The guppy has a bacterial infection on the rear half of its body. This needs treating immediately or it will kill the fish and spread to other fish in the tank.

You can add salt (see directions below) and add a broad spectrum fish medication that treats bacteria, fungus and protozoan infections. Use them both together. If you can't get medication today, add salt and get medication whenever you can.

---------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate will not affect plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

The guppy has a bacterial infection on the rear half of its body. This needs treating immediately or it will kill the fish and spread to other fish in the tank.

You can add salt (see directions below) and add a broad spectrum fish medication that treats bacteria, fungus and protozoan infections. Use them both together. If you can't get medication today, add salt and get medication whenever you can.

---------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate will not affect plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

Is Salt ok to use with pleco?

yes it's fine at the lower dose rate (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) for plecos and all freshwater fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back