FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Aussie_Bristle

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
Hi all

One of my ghost shrimp has this white spot on his back. It doesnā€™t affect him active and eating wise so I donā€™t think itā€™s a parasite (but could be wrong). Not sure if it could be a molting issue but I have never had a problem with their molting before either. Do you think itā€™s a half racing strip that a lot get up the back from breeding mutation? Water parameters as below

A - 0
No2 - 0
No3 - 0
Ph - 7.4

Image not the greatest as the little guy is so active.

Attachments

• 4EF63B49-33FC-4DBF-8B13-6DE4071860BC.jpeg
    4EF63B49-33FC-4DBF-8B13-6DE4071860BC.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 84
As far as I can tell from the pic he is a she and you are likely to be a new mum in about a month.

Wait what :oops: I have 2 girls with eggs already which are in their little saddle. I donā€™t know how they develop etc before the eggs in the saddle. So in dirty language am I looking at sperm that has fertilised the eggs and are waiting to drop into the saddle? Lol
I thought she was a he as there is not much of a saddle.

As far as I can tell from the pic he is a she and you are likely to be a new mum in about a month.

okay I have just found something about shrimp eggs etc. So scrap above lol you are indicating she has eggs in her ovaries? I have never read to much into this process of shrimp breeding. How very interesting, I thought eggs were fertilised before in deposited into the saddle but upon reading I have found they get fertilised once in the saddle.

The eggs develop inside the female's ovaries. When she is ready to breed, she moults and secretes a pheromone to attract the males, which will swim all over the tank looking for her. One of the males mates with the female, depositing sperm in her, and the eggs are fertilised as they pass from her ovaries through the sperm to her swimmerets.

need a better picture.

but if the shrimp is still eating and acting normally, I wouldn't worry too much.

The eggs develop inside the female's ovaries. When she is ready to breed, she moults and secretes a pheromone to attract the males, which will swim all over the tank looking for her. One of the males mates with the female, depositing sperm in her, and the eggs are fertilised as they pass from her ovaries through the sperm to her swimmerets.

Yeah I read that. So interesting, I never knew that side of it until now. Explains why the tank is going crazy then as I spotted another girl with the same marking

need a better picture.

but if the shrimp is still eating and acting normally, I wouldn't worry too much.

I tried several times to get a clear photo but the little girl was so active I kept getting blurry photos. All is normal and active in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back