White spot on plants.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jaws.k

Reaction score
Hi all. My 2nd post.
My 3rd thing is .. how you all doing? Hope you well.

Can I ask for some help please.

I have a boyu bgy 86, 86lt tank.
It's 24long X 24high X 15wide - inch.
I have had it for about 8 yrs & I love it, I had it with plastic plants & cold gold fish. They past away,
So now I want live plants ...
I did a bit of research into fish I want & I looked over the plants.
I went into my aquarium shop : got some plants. (This is after I cleaned out my tank & re- substrate it).

So..
I got some ...
Seachem black clay gravel (it's about 1& half + inch depth ).
I put in 8 live plants, ( i can get you the name of them if you need, ).
I put in my water.
Temp' is 23.4 hottest & 23. 0 coldest.
After about 3-4 weeks I've noticed that there's ...White -ish dust spots on the leaves.
This is concerning me... Help please..

I have used 0 none water additives, no fertalizer. No co2.
I have done water checks & all are in perimeter (I can get you the results if you need).

I have no fish in there yet.
I do have some seachem excel coming today.
I seen online that this is a wounder drug to aquariums.
Any advice on that.?

I have a few pictures, IL try upload them for you.
Please help...
& Thanks for your time.
Talk you soon.

Any pictures? The tank is too smal for a goldfish. Fancy goldfish needs a 20 gallon tank and other goldfish would need a 30 gallon tank.

Hi, I'm back with pictures, it took me a while on how to to do,but I'm here now ...

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_223027.jpg
    IMG_20200628_223027.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20200628_223014.jpg
    IMG_20200628_223014.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20200628_223110.jpg
    IMG_20200628_223110.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 159
Scrub off the .... I no there is a brown dead leaf by 1 of the pictures, I seen that yesterday, I've to get it out (tonight) . & I was going to put some of that seachem excel in & do a water change / clean of the filter. .

What you think to do 1st, water change & filter clean or throw some of the excel in : leave it in there for X time before I do a water change.

Do you think this white stuff is toxic to any fish or myself.?

A plant leaf scrub could be a major thing as it's a deep tank & quite a few leaves.

Thanks for your help & info salty&onion.

No, I don't the white stuff is harmful to fish or you. I heard that seachem excel is known for melting some plants and even harming fish.

Cool, thanks. I'l put my hand in now knowing that :).
So basically take it easy using it..
I no prevention is better than cure but what you think as coursed it?

Any one else views on this excel. ?
Thanks.

Hi, the rock, I've had that for yrs, it's an shop brought & its a plaster like material.
Tested..? Sorry, I don't no what you mean.

Before anything went into my dry tank, I was rinsed under tap water.
Plants was brought on a Saturday, (can give you dates later if needed) & the guy put them in a bag to take home, he ask put them in asap. If your doing it Sunday then leave them in a clean bowl ,cover with water not cold.... they be ok. So I did.

The only thing I can say I'm a bit funny about is.... Were my tank is in the room (in a corner) & it's a bit dark over there.
Are the plants getting enough growing light / sun light, my light is blue / white & say full spectrum on the advertisement. ( I can post a link what light I have later). It's on from 5 pm till 11 - / 11.30 pm. Are my plants photosynthesis (hope that's the correct word).
I'm on break now (at work,) as you can tell with the long reply, sorry.

Sorry...... I forgot to say ...

On the photos, think you can see, IL take another photo, but the leaves on the plants look like there withering , as if a plant / weed in the garden as been sprayed with weed killer & the plant fades away. But I've done nothing.

Sorry...... I forgot to say ...

On the photos, think you can see, IL take another photo, but the leaves on the plants look like there withering , as if a plant / weed in the garden as been sprayed with weed killer & the plant fades away. But I've done nothing.
I think its the effect of using seachems excel..

I haven't used any of the seachem excel yet salty&onion.
My substrate is seachem black clay gravel, I went with this 1, cuz it say on it's label /sale advertisement that it's for life. Were as some have to be changed over time & I didn't want to mess ...so I went what I thought was the best & it was fairly dear.
You think there could be something to do with my plants not liking the seachem item.?

I have some fertilizer at home, (unopened, IL post the brand later, with other info' plant names, water test reading, light) is it worth dropping a drop in?.
If I read (don't qoute me on it) if I'm not mistaken, please correct me..I think the seachem black clay gravel as not much nutrients. But I could be mistaken for some else I looked at.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back