White Spot On Panda Cory

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

aquababy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I wish I had more time to post on here but unfortunately I only do when I have fish problems. I hope wilders awake at this time. I have had a lot of bad luck with keeping pandas. I know wilder always says corys don't get white spot the way other fish do. My pandas develop a white spot and then show no interest in food. They stop playing and then eventually die. I'm not going o be buying anymore pandas and I only have two left. One is still eating, playing etc but the other one got a white spot on his fin 2 days ago and now isn't himself. I had 7 panda corys about 3 months ago but only two now. My water stats are fine and I feed my fish everyday and remove any remaining food. I do a water change(30%) every week and clean the filters about 10 days later or if they show signs of slowing down. My water in the tank is crystal clear and there is no foul smell coming from the tank. My tank isn't overstocked. I have treated all my pandas with Melafix, Pimafix and anti internal Bacteria (I haven't used all 3 meds at the same time) exactly as the instructions say but they always end up dying. If this panda dies my other panda will get left alone and I know they like to be in groups. All other fish are fine and I have had no other fish deaths. The other occupants of my tank are Neon tetras, rummynose tetras, minnows and habrosus. My tank is a 64 litre and has two large filters running and an air pump with 3 airstones, lots of plants and a cave. No sharp objects. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and if the panda dies what I sould do with the last remaining one.

I forgot to mention the panda isn't rubbing or flicking, and all the pandas that died didn't.

He seems to get food stuck to him when I feed them. He looks like he has a very pale see through film coating on him.

Caan you post your water stats please in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
How big is the spot on the fins, does it have any redness to the spot on the outside of the spot or a red centre.
Does the spot resemble a cauliflower, does the spot look smooth.

What temp do you run that tank at?

Reason I ask is that recently I also had bad experience with pandas. Bought 4 of them, acclimatised them, put them in the tank and didn't see anything of them for a few days (they were so tiny I guessed they were hiding). Then I spotted my first panda death. Checked my stats and they were fine. So put it down to the stress of being moved to a new tank. Then I found a 2nd panda dead.

I started Googling, trying to find out as much as I could in case I was doing something wrong. The only thing I found out was that panda's like a COOLER tank temp than most tropical fish and also they are not very easy to keep (not very hardy and most don't last very long). My tank was set to 28 degrees so probably a bit too warm for the little guys.

I've only seen one of them in my tank since then. I think it was a very expensive mistake - I should never buy on impulse (had gone in to buy sterbais and spotted the pandas and thought they looked really sweet...) - £16 down the drain basically.

Athena

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back