White spot need help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tegantnt

Reaction score
First timer of having white spot in community tank. Some have it some don't. Do not have a quarentine tank.

I have treated the tank with rapid white spot treatment. Some salt. Removing carbon filter And raising the temperature to 29 - 30 to deg Celsius.

Is there anything more I can do?

How often do I do water changes?

Do I take all ornaments out and live plants?

Can I still live feed my fish ?
(Being Oscars, dollars and some suckers in there)

Help.... I can't loose these fish I'm to attached.

Last edited:
Raise the temp to 86° for 2 weeks and it will kill the ich

So keep it at 30 deg Celsius.?

No fish look like there in distress at this point. Just spotty as hell. There still eating and active.

Everything can stay. No need to sterilize:)

I just finished treatment. Temp at 86F, aquarium salt ( careful if you have tetras or cories). Leave for 2 weeks after last white spot seen. Vacuum substrate daily to suck up parasites. If you remove 25% of water, only add back 25% of original salt dosage. Be sure to dissolve aquarium salt first. I also soaked my fish food in Garluc Guard to help immune system. Keep us posted! Salt is 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons. If you have salt sensitive fish, cut dose in half.

I just finished treatment. Temp at 86F, aquarium salt ( careful if you have tetras or cories). Leave for 2 weeks after last white spot seen. Vacuum substrate daily to suck up parasites. If you remove 25% of water, only add back 25% of original salt dosage. Be sure to dissolve aquarium salt first. I also soaked my fish food in Garluc Guard to help immune system. Keep us posted! Salt is 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons. If you have salt sensitive fish, cut dose in half.
So when there are no spots left on fish... You know there gone ? Even in the gravel etc

So when there are no spots left on fish... You know there gone ? Even in the gravel etc
Yes. If you leave the heat for 2 weeks after the spots have disappeared it will be gone

The whitespot parasite has 3 stages - on the fish as spots, on the bottom of the tank where it multiplies, and free swimming where it looks for a fish to infect.

If you reduce the temperature too soon, you may not kill all the parasites so the fish will be re-infected. Keeping the temp raised for 2 weeks after the last spot disappears from the fish means all the parasites will be killed.

Only after about 5 days if no spots. Remember that the parasite has to burst open in gravel which can take a day or 2 and then they can live for 48 hours without a host to feed off of. Depending on water temp, it could take a bit longer for them to burst. So the first week after no spots, we keep watching for spots. Week 2 is to be sure all parasites are dead. So leave temp at 86F for 2 weeks after no spots seen. :)

The whitespot parasite has 3 stages - on the fish as spots, on the bottom of the tank where it multiplies, and free swimming where it looks for a fish to infect.

If you reduce the temperature too soon, you may not kill all the parasites so the fish will be re-infected. Keeping the temp raised for 2 weeks after the last spot disappears from the fish means all the parasites will be killed.
I want them to survive. So I won't be doing anything drastic. At all.

They seem to have less dots now. So fingers crossed it's working. Cheers.

Only after about 5 days if no spots. Remember that the parasite has to burst open in gravel which can take a day or 2 and then they can live for 48 hours without a host to feed off of. Depending on water temp, it could take a bit longer for them to burst. So the first week after no spots, we keep watching for spots. Week 2 is to be sure all parasites are dead. So leave temp at 86F for 2 weeks after no spots seen. :)
Can I still feed my Oscars live feeder food? Or wait out till the spots are totally gone ?

The Oscars and dollars seem to have only there find with dots now. That's after two days.

Do I still continue treatment for the two weeks after spots are gone aswell? Salt aswell as the rapid white spot stuff?

Most reactions

trending

Back