White spot disease

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Fishface11

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve just started keeping tropical fish and they have white spot disease and Iā€™ve noticed some of there fins look like theyā€™ve been half eaten is this fin fungus

What fish do you have?
Tank Stats?
The best cure for White spot is heat (as recommended to me by these forums)

I used NT Labs White Spot & Fungus & it didnt seem to do much. So i sat it out until treatment ended
So i water changed & started treatment again just to be sure i was doing it correctly.

A week after treatment finished the Corys were still flicking so i did a 25% Water change & added a little salt (1 Tablespoon per 10 Gallons) & turned the heat up to 30oC/86f for 2 weeks, This seems to have now cured them. Not seen any White spots or flicking for around 10 days

If you cant crank the temp up to 86, I have been using Ick-X as a treatment along with large water changes daily.

I added salt and used Lifeguard by Tetra. It was all that was available in the local Walmart. Between the two, it wiped it out and I didn't lose any fish.

Can we see pictures ? Just to confirm it is Ich yiur dealing with

What fish do you have?
Tank Stats?
The best cure for White spot is heat (as recommended to me by these forums)

I used NT Labs White Spot & Fungus & it didnt seem to do much. So i sat it out until treatment ended
So i water changed & started treatment again just to be sure i was doing it correctly.

A week after treatment finished the Corys were still flicking so i did a 25% Water change & added a little salt (1 Tablespoon per 10 Gallons) & turned the heat up to 30oC/86f for 2 weeks, This seems to have now cured them. Not seen any White spots or flicking for around 10 days
Hiya Iā€™ve just started out and Iā€™ve got 6 gold tetra , 4 plates ,3 Dalmatian mollies, 3little cat fish ,5 neons and 1 angle fish, one of my platys was bad it kept hiding and darting about it died 2 days ago but on one side it looked very strange Iā€™ve got a pic ,a couple of the neons had white spot Iā€™m using a white spot meds they donā€™t seem too bad, I did a full water change and scrubbed everything and Iā€™m still using the whit spot stuff and Iā€™ve turned the heat up to 80 , but Iā€™m a bit scared to turn the heat up further I was told it could kill the fish

Attachments

• 8AED0480-1509-44AD-BC85-BA4A034BFB20.jpeg
    8AED0480-1509-44AD-BC85-BA4A034BFB20.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 4763F771-5926-4709-9AC9-5830A7EBDDAD.jpeg
    4763F771-5926-4709-9AC9-5830A7EBDDAD.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 36
I had a terrible outbreak of ich back in the Spring. Only thing that worked was heat to 86F, dissolved aquarium salt at 1/2 tablespoon per every 5G of water, and fed my fish food soaked in Garlic Guard. I had tetras and cories in the tank so I only did half of recommended dose of salt. Alll handled it well. Did this for 14 days. Also did 30% water change daily and vacuumed substrate. Ich hates salt and garlic!

Attachments

• 07B190FE-BA55-4AF4-92CB-1256BE95D003.png
    07B190FE-BA55-4AF4-92CB-1256BE95D003.png
    549.6 KB · Views: 40
  • D565E79F-D5DD-45F8-831A-EAD00F6DA76A.jpeg
    D565E79F-D5DD-45F8-831A-EAD00F6DA76A.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 49
  • B6BC8AD8-8D43-447A-942E-3D68C4865923.jpeg
    B6BC8AD8-8D43-447A-942E-3D68C4865923.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 46
Hiya Iā€™ve just started out and Iā€™ve got 6 gold tetra , 4 plates ,3 Dalmatian mollies, 3little cat fish ,5 neons and 1 angle fish, one of my platys was bad it kept hiding and darting about it died 2 days ago but on one side it looked very strange Iā€™ve got a pic ,a couple of the neons had white spot Iā€™m using a white spot meds they donā€™t seem too bad, I did a full water change and scrubbed everything and Iā€™m still using the whit spot stuff and Iā€™ve turned the heat up to 80 , but Iā€™m a bit scared to turn the heat up further I was told it could kill the fish
The yellow and black platy in the pictures has a bacterial infection on its side.

The neon tetra definitely has white spot.

You don't want to raise the temperature too much when using medication because the medication reduces the oxygen level in the water and so does the heat. A combination of high temperature and chemicals can reduce oxygen levels a lot and harm the fish. Salt also reduces the oxygen level in the water.

The yellow and black platy in the pictures has a bacterial infection on its side.

The neon tetra definitely has white spot.

You don't want to raise the temperature too much when using medication because the medication reduces the oxygen level in the water and so does the heat. A combination of high temperature and chemicals can reduce oxygen levels a lot and harm the fish. Salt also reduces the oxygen level in the water.
The platy has since died , my temp is between80/81 is this ok and Iā€™m using white spot control aswell I did a full water change aswell and scrubbed everything Iā€™m hoping this works

The temp has to be at 86F in order to kill ich. Anything lower wonā€™t do the trick. You need to choose heat or med method, not both. I failed to say earlier that when using heat/salt method to be sure and add an air stone. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back