White Spot Disease Or Velvet Disease

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kevinmcd

Reaction score
Hi Had a fairly well established 260 litre Jewel Tank going well for nearly 9 months. Just bought 2 oscars and 2 green severns and now got

a disease was advised that it was velvet disease and treated with Interpet treatment number 7 anti slime and velvet. Now i am not so sure as

spots are more like white spot In my opinion. Will no 7 kill the disease treated tank on monday 15th and now 2 more fish infected. oscar

and seems to be developing more but not as bad as severns how got it first. ( Removed severns on advise off Fish supplier but had no

quarantine tank so dont want to remove any more. ) Water is 24 0 celcius and removed some water before treating. Any advice would be

appreciated know I have to give medicine time to work but how long before parasite should be under control. Will be due next treatment on

Monday next but can I treat or change treatment before ???

If it is whitespot the velvet med still fine.
Have you raised temp to 30.
Increased aeration.
Removed black carbon from filter.

Velvet far worse than whitespot, and harder to get rid off.
It can take two rounds of meds to get rid of whitespot, and velvet.

Signs of velvet are.
Golden yellow spots.
Rusty coloured varnish on the fish.
Gold dusting on a fish.
Or the fish will look like it's been dusted in talc.

Hi did not want to go messing too much with temperature still 24 could gradually increase. 2 oscars and 2 catfish infected no real growth

in infection in last 16 hours happy about that. I know if I raise temperature will speed up life cycle off the parsites. Maybe wait till

towards start off next treatment to do this.??? I did not remove carbon filter either due a change so hoping would not act as too much

off a trap for medication. Any Suggestions appreciated off now for 2 days so have more time to fix it. could gradualy increase temp and

remove carbon filter. How long is medicine effective 1 week ??? . thanks for your help -- kevin

You need to remove black carbon as it removes meds from the tank. How long have you had the carbon in the tank.

Fish can tolerate the high temp if there plenty of aeration in the tank.

You can't expect fish to recover fast when you haven't raised temp, or removed black carbon from filter.

You need to remove black carbon as it removes meds from the tank. How long have you had the carbon in the tank.

Fish can tolerate the high temp if there plenty of aeration in the tank.

You can't expect fish to recover fast when you haven't raised temp, or removed black carbon from filter.

Removed carbon filter today also raised temp going to add fresh water tomorrow evening then sunday

clean tank bottom and remove 20 % water and add medicine again. Repeating dose in about a week to make sure no whitespot reappears

That sounds fine.
Let me know how you get on if you don't mind.

Hi just realised I have a spare pump which has a uv light have put in aquarium also to be sure that the nasty little spores have been

elminated. Dont see how it can hurt ????

Once parasites are on the fish the uv light no good.
They have to go throw the uv to be zapped.
Make sure you can use uv with the parasite med you are using.

Thats the plan will check about how will affect meds. Want to use after second round off meds to avoid disease coming back

Once spots have gone it wise to treat for another week.

three weeks later no sign off white spot lost one catfish but all other fish ok including precious oscars. !!!! phew

Thanks for the update.
Glad the fish have recovered.

How many fish are in the tank? long term one oscar and one severum will be pushing the tanks stocking well beyond its limit,
never mind two of each with other tankmates

2 oscars , 4 odessa's barbs and 2 catfisn and 2 severns, - just bought 300 litre juwel and setting up to transfer odessas and 1 catfish and severns when ready

Most reactions

Back