White specks in aquarium?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

biorbboy

Reaction score
Hey all, new to this forum!

I have a 30L Biorb Tube setup with the Pondguru compatible filter kit. I had this tank running before for about a year with the normal Biorb filter setup.

I have recently set up the tank from scratch and made sure it was all cleaned properly inside and out with all new ornaments except a set of starfish decor which I washed and dunked in dechlorinated water before placing in tank.

Since setting up all I can see is little specks of white specks/dust moving all around the tank and it's driving me crazy!

For reference - I used Seachem Prime for the water and Filter Gel Balls (provided by Pond Guru) to get the tank up and running.

There are no live plants or any fish in the tank.

When I turn the air pump off, the specks stop moving and all flow to the top. I've even looked at it after draining some out, and it just looks like tiny bubbles meshed up together.

I have no idea what this is and how to get rid of it. Can someone please help me?

This is how it looks in the tank:
https://ibb.co/1mZcvss
(they do not stick to the surface)

This is how it looks when I turn the airpump off and they rise to the top:
https://ibb.co/cNRVpMS

Video:

Thank you.

My tank did that when it was new but now it's been over a month and it doesn't happen now.

could it be tiny bits of paint or ceramic coming off of your décor? Something very small and light enough to float? Try stopping the filter and take a net an skim the top of the water. If they disappear they are bubbles, if they stick to the net then they are particles from something in your tank.

What kind of substrate is that? Could it be coming from that? Sometimes sand will do it in the beginning. If it were bubbles, I don’t think they would collect on top like that. I’ve heard that low magnesium can cause dust like matter but know nothing more than that. I vote for just something that needs to settle.

What kind of substrate is that? Could it be coming from that? Sometimes sand will do it in the beginning. If it were bubbles, I don’t think they would collect on top like that. I’ve heard that low magnesium can cause dust like matter but know nothing more than that. I vote for just something that needs to settle.

It is Sintered Glass Bio Gravel, it is part of the filtration system by Pond Guru. I did wash the media very well before placing in the tank.

Thanks all for your replies.

It looks like the general consensus is it is micro bubbles, I also think it is as I tried collecting it with a net and nothing. When collecting with a siphon, the bucket also has the bubbles.

In terms of getting rid of it - I have tried leaving the air pump off for a while but they do re-appear.

Is it just a case of leaving it cycle and it should go on its own? It's been around 2 weeks now, or is there a way to get rid of them now?

It just makes the tank appear cloudy and when I turn the air pump off the water looks pristine, that's what is bugging me about it.

Biorbs are designed to run with their substrate. The substrate you are using may be causing the trouble. Biorb substrate is largish rough stones; the substrate you have changed to is small round balls, and they are sintered glass. These could be causing the air from the air pump to break into tiny bubbles.

Did you have the problem with the original biorb media? If not, it is the new substrate that is the problem. Most media of this type is designed to go in external (cannister) filters rather than be used with an undergravel filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back