White Specks Floating In Water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BeckyCats

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello. I am at my wit's end trying to figure out what this white stuff is floating around in the water. Some of it settles onto the plants (as seen in the picture below) but mostly it just floats around. At first I thought it might be a bacterial bloom but if that was it, then would it settle on the plants like that? Also, if it is a bacterial bloom, wouldn't it go away at some point? When I first set the tank up, there was a white bloom, but it went away as the tank cycled and it was more of a hazy cloud rather than little flecks.

I change about half to two thirds of the water each week. Is this too much? I have an Aqueon quiet flow filter which has two filter pads with carbon granules inside. I had changed them out once a month as the instructions suggest, but after reading others'opinions about filter pad changing, I have only changed one pad at a time, not both at once. I also added two small bags of fluval bio media inside the filter to give beneficial bacteria more places to live.

The picture of the water and of the whole tank is from tonight. I did an approximate fifty percent water change yesterday. The picture of the buildup on the leaf is from right before a water change.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20160615_214158500.jpg
    IMG_20160615_214158500.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20160608_194531774.jpg
    IMG_20160608_194531774.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20160615_213841880.jpg
    IMG_20160615_213841880.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 368
Did you wash off the Fluval biomedia before adding to the filter?

Isn't that stuff white?  Could be flakes of that or dust from that working it's way through perhaps.

You could also consider adding a fine floss as a last layer in the filter to help remove any smaller particles.

I've also noticed you have sand.  Was the substrate well washed before adding to the tank?  It could be fine sand.

Far_King said:
Did you wash off the Fluval biomedia before adding to the filter?

Isn't that stuff white?  Could be flakes of that or dust from that working it's way through perhaps.

You could also consider adding a fine floss as a last layer in the filter to help remove any smaller particles.

I've also noticed you have sand.  Was the substrate well washed before adding to the tank?  It could be fine sand.

The flecks in the water predate the fluval biomedia. I did wash it first as well.

The filters that I have, do have a floss material on them. Should I use additional floss, do you mean? The filter cartridges are the ones that come standard with the Aqueon quiet flow filters and seem to be made primarily of floss (unless I am not understanding the terminology).

I am suspecting the sand as well. I thought I washed it thoroughly but perhaps over time, more just keeps sifting upwards. There is definitely some sand settling on the leaves, but whether or not that is what is also floating around, I'm not sure.

Why is my filter not catching this stuff, whatever it is? Should I try a prefilter sponge on the intake tube? Not sure why that would help, I'm just grasping at straws here. If it is the sand, how long will this stuff keep coming out?

If you do have a fine floss in the filter then that should suffice to extract any fine particles that are drawn through the filter - although it's possible some are making their way around the outside of it (I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with your particular brand of filter but some seal better than others).

I have a nagging suspicion that this is sand and it looks the same colour as the sand you've used.  I've only had it in one of my tanks, my betta tank, where the sand I used was particularly fine and it took a long time to settle and work it's way through.  If it's settling on plants you may be able use a sponge or a cloth and just wipe it off.  This will also enable you to get a closer look at it.  

When you do water changes try as much as possible not to disturb the substrate (easier said than done I know).  

That's a good point about the seal around the filter. I believe a fair amount of water does not pass through the filter media. Some of it rides over the top of the filter cartridges. I have been considering getting a different filter or perhaps an additional smaller one.

Think I can ask my cories to stop sifting through the sand? They kick up a fair amount. Just kidding of course. I'll probably just try to add another filter. My existing filter is very good for water turnover, but it seems to be less good at getting tiny debris out of the water.

You don't think it could be the fertilizer tabs slowly dissolving into the water, do you? I put seachem flourish tabs in the sand a few months ago. I doubt they are the problem though because they are very dark and the flecks are white. Just grabbing at straws again.

Seachem tabs are really very good and I don't think it's those.

If your filter isn't able to filter all the water then yes, small particles will just ride over or around the media.  It should eventually reduce over time but may explain why you're getting a dusting of sand on the leaves.  If your filter is drawing up some sand and spitting it back out then it will settle elsewhere :)

I've never used a HOB filter myself so I have no idea how efficient they are.  Good for aeration by the looks of it.

I'd definitely point the finger at those cheeky cories!  I'm sure the sand is there for their benefit though so it's hardly fair to tell the little monkeys to stop playing in it ;)

Yes, the filter is VERY good for aeration. Very. Many HOBs have a flow adjuster, but this model does not. I've been considering putting a pre-filter on the intake tube to slow the flow down a bit. There is a bare spot right in front of the cave, where the flow of the filter pushes away the sand. You can see the aquarium bottom. I have tried to push the sand back over that area, but it keeps clearing back out.

You bring up yet another good point that I hadn't thought about. I have my intake tube pulled out as low as it can go. My thought was that it should be near the "ground" so that it can pick up debris, but perhaps it is too near and is picking up more than it should. I'll push it up higher when I get home.

And yes, the decision to use sand was specifically to make whatever bottom dweller I got happy. They do seem to like it. It is very interesting to watch the sand come out of their gills as they sift through. I'm not sure I would get play sand again though for my next tank. I have read that pool filter sand is also good and doesn't require the extensive rinsing that play sand does. I'm working on my husband to let me get another tank (just a small 30-40 gallon), but judging from his reaction so far, I have plenty of time to research different sand types. 

It could be worth trying a pre-filter.  I think all my tanks that have sand have it shifted due to the flow back from the filter.

I raise the intake a couple of inches for any tank that has a sand substrate, this could be where your fine dusting is coming from :)

And yes, you definitely need another tank, one is never enough!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back