White Ring Round Betta's Eye - Popeye?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JasonU

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My betta has a white ring round his eye. His eye is not bulging or swollen in anyway. I would not even say that the ring looks fluffy. He has at times appeared to be breathing heavily, apart from that he has no other outward signs of illness. Could this be popeye?

He has been very quiet for the past two days, sitting on the bottom of the tank, he usually sits in the plants so this is unusual behaviour for him. He normally comes up to say 'hello' when he sees you but has stopped doing this.

He did eat some blood worms but was mainly uninterested in his food, very unusual behaviour for him.

Since this started I have done daily water changes. I have also added salt to his water.

Anybody any ideas on what it could be and more importantly how to treat it?

Thanks

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Remove the salt corys don't tolerate it to well.
Can you issolate him and use a bacterial med.
Acting listless and lethagic can also be symtoms of a bacterial infection.

It is a 35 litre tank.
There is only the betta and a couple of apple snails - he does not play nice with other fish.

The water test was:

pH 7
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

The GH and KH were both 0.

His behaviour is back to normal now and his appetite has returned as well.

There is still a very thin white line around his eye.

I did a 40%ish water change yesterday, I then added salt to the fresh water.

I also treated him with myxazin and melafix. I will give him another dose of melafix tonight.

Ok.
Don't add the salt back to the water removed.

What test kit are you using?

Ok.
Don't add the salt back to the water removed.

What test kit are you using?

I used the API - Aquarium Pharmaceuticals - 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strip.

I checked these against an Ammonia Test Kit by the same manufacturer.

Test strip cards are not accurate. Liquid test kits are the best.

It's rare to have a nitrate reading of 0, unless your tap nitrate reading 0, you have live plants.

Test strip cards are not accurate. Liquid test kits are the best.

It's rare to have a nitrate reading of 0, unless your tap nitrate reading 0, you have live plants.

Several live plants.

Had to cut them back at the weekend as I realised there was very little room left for him to swim.

You can go mad with plants. But the fish need room to lol.

No idea what the white thing round his eye is?

Is it best to treat it as popeye?

Awww well my Lotus had Popeye (if it is that) get treated and do daily water changes, in fact do the water changes anyway, won't hurt, just in case it is something?

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/314069-nooo-lotus-has-popeye/page__p__2601166__fromsearch__1&#entry2601166

Have a look at the thread i have put the link to, there is a video of my lotus with popeye which looks like a white ring...does yours look anything like that?

Wilder

After testing with the strip I did the liquid test, it gave the same results.

Loops
That is a stunning betta.

My betta's eye does not look like that. There is no swelling. It orginally looked like someone had drawn a line round his eye with a felt tip pen. The line does look like it is disappearing now, it is still visible round the top of his eye. His behaviour and appetite are back to normal now.

As my other half said (we both post from the same account) he does not like his picture taken, he normally hides if I go near his tank with a camera.

This the best picture I can get, it is not brilliant but you can see the white line. I know looking at the picture it almost looks normal but it is honestly not, that line at the top of his eye is not normally there.

I am not great at inserting images in posts so if none of these attempts work you can cut and paste this address - http://www.jason-urquhart.com/tom-eye.jpg

tom-eye.jpg

Picture of Tom's eye

im positive that it is just the tissue around the eye which holds the eyeball into his socket. not a sign of disease.
check out this picture of my guy. 100% normal. i can only see it when he is looking "sideways" and not straight ahead.
http://picasaweb.google.com/loraxchick/BettaTank1216#5415896711992257906
no need for medicine.
cheers

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back