White particles floating around

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Elena82x

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve been in the hobby about 6 months now; I had a 70l for two months that I transferred into a 240l which went through a mini cycle.
I have recently noticed a lot of white specks floating around, like loads, making the water look really unclean. This is despite a 70% water change last night. Is this normal? Is it algae? I get quite a lot of algae on the walls, mostly brown that appeared after the initial cycle, Iā€™ve tried not to clean it all off in case I lose bacteria.
The reason Iā€™m curious, weā€™ll a few reasons:
- I donā€™t know if it was there all along or whether Iā€™ve just started noticing it
- Iā€™ve had some undiagnosed sickness so wonder if this could be related, I also spotted a few tiny white spots at the end of a guppyā€™s tail, I assumed ich but have since wondered if they are calcium deposits and thatā€™s what is in the water.
- my ammonia the last couple of weeks has been persistently above zero, Iā€™ve kept it below 0.5ppm with water changes and been using Prime too, (tap water is zero) but havenā€™t worked out why yet; Iā€™m only feeding once a day, I lightly clean the top filter wool pad in tank water every couple of weeks but leave the rest untouched, Iā€™m siphoning poop out a couple of times a day to try and reduce this and yet itā€™s still happening.. (Iā€™m not overstocked) so I wondered if this stuff in the water is related or are these white particles normal?
The substrate is river sand and it is lightly planted.
If a photo would help (Iā€™m unsure how clear it could be) Iā€™ll need to wait until I switch the light back on in the morning as I always assume itā€™s not great to mess with their day/night clocks.
Edit to add nitrates are kept below 20

Last edited:
Yes, a photo would help.
Hopefully these show the issue, I do twice a week at least 50% water changes. I donā€™t know if this is normal or if I have a water quality or filter issue I need to sort. Thank you.

Attachments

• 177002FC-F59A-4225-AE37-78FE76EF0DF0.jpeg
    177002FC-F59A-4225-AE37-78FE76EF0DF0.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 30
  • E66D0026-28E6-4C42-93B9-785C610D8DB7.jpeg
    E66D0026-28E6-4C42-93B9-785C610D8DB7.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 31
  • C3C3C0D6-1E67-400B-AFA3-2EE76E7FD6F9.jpeg
    C3C3C0D6-1E67-400B-AFA3-2EE76E7FD6F9.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 33
my 2 thoughts are you don't have enough filtration and you can certainly clean the glass without upsetting anything.
Thank you for the suggestion. Iā€™ll gladly clean the glass more regularly if it wonā€™t affect beneficial bacteria. The filter came with the tank, itā€™s Juwel bio flow M. I donā€™t know if anyone in here is able to tell me why it might not be efficient, or Iā€™ll check if there is a section specifically for filter discussion on this group. Iā€™m sat looking now and the water is so filthy with these particles. If you zoom in above the orange molly here you can see what the whole tank is like.

Attachments

• 02DC6EED-CE73-4B02-B173-9419E023BA28.jpeg
    02DC6EED-CE73-4B02-B173-9419E023BA28.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 27
Thank you for the suggestion. Iā€™ll gladly clean the glass more regularly if it wonā€™t affect beneficial bacteria. The filter came with the tank, itā€™s Juwel bio flow M. I donā€™t know if anyone in here is able to tell me why it might not be efficient, or Iā€™ll check if there is a section specifically for filter discussion on this group. Iā€™m sat looking now and the water is so filthy with these particles. If you zoom in above the orange molly here you can see what the whole tank is like.
Iā€™ve done some googling and maybe there is a blockage in the filter. Iā€™ve recently put some new plants in and stray leaves have been going to the filter so maybe thatā€™s caused it. Iā€™m not good with anything technical at all :( Iā€™ll try to investigate though.
Also my air stones are very close to the filter, Iā€™ve done that in the hope that it offers a calmer end of the tank for the fish that prefer less current but could the two strong air stones be directing water away from the filter intake?

I just googled that filter. It looks like a nice filter but I bet you need to take it apart and clean it. You probably need to do that once a week or every other week. Those sponges are going to get clogged and then won't be filtering anything.

I just googled that filter. It looks like a nice filter but I bet you need to take it apart and clean it. You probably need to do that once a week or every other week. Those sponges are going to get clogged and then won't be filtering anything.
Iā€™m so grateful that you suggested I look at the filter. It wasnā€™t doing its job and when I tested the water it had gone from 0.25 ammonia to 2ppm overnight. Thankfully not having let it get any worse, I have cleaned the filter out, done an 80% water change, added Prime, stuck an old smaller filter in for contingency alongside the main one, and will check everything and do another water change tomorrow. Iā€™ve had a fish struggling recently so the last thing Iā€™ve needed is to dose him in ammonia so Iā€™m just glad to have spotted an issue now. Thanks again for your comments.

Iā€™m having a similar problem although itā€™s more like tiny tiny bubbles or grains of sand. It doesnā€™t make the water appear cloudy but is very noticeable when looking closely. They just float around in the current. Any ideas

Iā€™m having a similar problem although itā€™s more like tiny tiny bubbles or grains of sand. It doesnā€™t make the water appear cloudy but is very noticeable when looking closely. They just float around in the current. Any ideas
Hi oldluko,
Im not saying the following is what it is but its a possibility.
I had the same issue of fine, white particles floating around in the water and on the surface too.
I couldnt work out where it was coming from until a noticed the rubber connectors on my spray bar set up were releasing like white bio-film? particles.
I cleaned the rubber joiners up and it stopped.
These joiners/connectors are part of a Fluval canister filter/spray bar set up.
Check all the rubber joiners and suction cups in your tank, it may be one of those.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back