White marks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CazRJ

Reaction score
I think my Cory has an infection or something. It appears to have white raised marks on its side. Any idea what I could do to treat? Should I separate it from the rest of the tank?

All parameters are in range tank has been set up for over a year, these Cordy have been in for 6 months to a year with no issues. No new tank mates have been added for several months.

Attachments

• IMG_20210921_105403.jpg
    IMG_20210921_105403.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 70
What is the pH of his tank. Who else is living with him. A picture of the whole tank is always helpful.

PH is 7, tends to hover between 6.5-7 tbh. It's a community tank with other cordies, some minnows and tetra, and I few shrimp.

Attachments

• 16322940740655328895171928082574.jpg
    16322940740655328895171928082574.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 55
Cool tank, could it be a bump off a heater?. Maybe a shrimp. Looks like a war wound to me.
Thank you. ah that's reassuring to think in a weird way, iv added an almond leaf which someone said is good for cordies I think so hopefully they'll recover 🤞

Not that I am aware, should I be using one with it without Aloe in??
No, the spot looks like an irritation of the slimeskin of the fish by sonething in the water.
Some corys are sensitive for Aloe Vera in conditioners.

No, the spot looks like an irritation of the slimeskin of the fish by sonething in the water.
Some corys are sensitive for Aloe Vera in conditioners.
Hmm, nothing has been changed that I usually use or added to the tank other than a plant from a retailer I usually use.... The only thing that is different was a week or two ago we went away and their clean/ water change didn't happen for a week.

What brand of water conditioner do you use? Many of them have additives to 'promote the slime coat' and these are often aloe vera.

The image of the bottle on Maidenhead Aquatics website says "contains protective herbal extracts" and the text in the item description says (my bold highlighting)
  • Removes Chlorine and Chloramine
  • Neutralises Heavy Metals
  • Protects and Heals
  • Patented Stress-Reducing Formula

These herbal extracts could well be aloe vera. It does not say that it detoxifies ammonia so when it runs out, a water conditioner which removes chlorine and metals but contains nothing else is API Tap Water Conditioner. It contains nothing to 'protect and heal' etc. It's also very concentrated - the dose rate for chlorine is 1 drop per 3.8 litres.
If your water has chloramine, Seachem Prime would be a good option.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back