White marks eating into head - guppy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
Hi, I have a guppy with a white mass on/around its head that appears to be eating into its flesh. The white mass appears to be mostly on top of the head, and partly under the right side of the mouth. I would really appreciate any help you can give on the type of infection and any action I should take. I struggled to take good photos, so I filmed a video instead. I think overall this will be more helpful. Please see below. Please view at 1080p quality and full screen if you can. Thank you!

Have you added any new fish recently? If so, it could be columnaris. When you say white mass, is it just a white lump or fuzzy? It looks fuzzy in video but hard to tell. I would quarantine the fish ASAP so other fish don’t get it. It could be a fungus too. It’s hard to tell the difference in the 2 most of the time. Read on both and see which you think it has. Fungus can be cured with API General Cure. Columnaris is much tougher and needs immediate treatment with Furan-2 and Kanaplex used together according to directions. Spectogram is back on the market too and has both medications already mixed together in it. You can get it from American Aquarium Products. Good luck!

Thank you for you speedy response. Unfortunately the fish died over night. I think it was probably an aggressive form of columnaris because it was killed so quickly. The other fish seem ok but I'm going to treat the tank anyway.
Thanks again

Thank you for you speedy response. Unfortunately the fish died over night. I think it was probably an aggressive form of columnaris because it was killed so quickly. The other fish seem ok but I'm going to treat the tank anyway.
Thanks again
So sorry to hear you lost the fish but it probably was columnaris. Treating the tank us a rise and sea. Also do a large wTer change and vacuum gravel.Salt helps also as columnaris does not like it!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back