white lips

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Yesterday I found one of my minnows floating.
upon close examination yesterday and today, a few of my WCMMs have white upper lips.
I have no Idea if the two situations are related. I'm also having white fuzzy eggs, which some of you may know.

[ I put in an air stone which I was planning to do anyway to give the eggs a better chance as I am having fuzzies]. I also removed about 50% of the floating plants as I was eager for eggs but I think my water quality suffered. as I am looking over at it now I realize I had too many floaters.
I do have one new fry, though, in spite of all the other stuff happening in the tank

But now this white lip/mouth issue. My LFS recommended Kanaplex the directions are confusing.
am I supposed to mix it with the food or just put the powder in?
So mad at myself I let my routine slide when I moved the last group of my fish into the 20g.....more fish = more ammonia. I only had ten and added 5. ANYWAY
-----------I did a 50% water change yesterday and another 50% today. __________
I have been trying to get a photo but it is hard to get one with that much detail.

help

Last edited:
I don't have access to Kanaplex so I have never (can't) use it. Can you tell us what the instructions say and I'll see what I can make of them; otherwise you'll need to wait for an American member who has used it.

Pictures of the fish?

How long have you had the fish for?
Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

-----------------
It could be Columnaris (aka mouth fungus). This is a nasty flesh eating bacteria that kills fish quickly (within a couple of days of the white mouth appearing).

You normally need anti-biotics to treat it but high levels of salt can sometimes help.

------
Salt
Use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt per 20 litres of tank water. Keep salt in the tank for at least 2 weeks after the fish have stopped dying.

You can use salt with anti-biotics.

-------------------
Anti-biotics work best in a bare glass tank. However, if there is Columnaris in the main tank, you need to treat the main tank.

Before you treat the tank, do the following things.
Work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.
You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter. Wash filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Then treat the tank with the appropriate amount of anti-biotics.

Oh no!!
How does happen?

I called the fish store and they cleared up the confusion I had about the directions
for the Kanaplex.

I've had the minnows and CPDs for over a year. I just moved my rainbows in a couple of weeks ago. I e had them for at least 7 months
All was well, great, happy.

I added Alder cones within the past two weeks...

I'll try to get pictures
Oh no!!

Pictures of the fish?

-----------------
It could be Columnaris (aka mouth fungus). This is a nasty flesh eating bacteria that kills fish quickly (within a couple of days of the white mouth appearing).

You normally need anti-biotics to treat it but high levels of salt can sometimes help.

------
Salt
Use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt per 20 litres of tank water. Keep salt in the tank for at least 2 weeks after the fish have stopped dying.

-------------------
Anti-biotics work best in a bare glass tank. However, if there is Columnaris in the main tank, you need to treat the main tank.

divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.
You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter. Wash filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Please Please I have a just cleaned 10g
And airstone and sponge filter should I move my fish in there and treat them while I'm cleaning my tank

The rainbows were fine and very healthy I know it's not them
Can I use the 10g with air stone sponge it is bare bottom and clean

I have sLt and antibiotics

Pictures of the fish?

-----------------

------
Salt

-------------------

divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

Please does salt hurt shrimp

Is it okay to move the dish out to a 10 gallon with a seeded sponge filter??

Pictures of the fish?

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, plants, snails or shrimp.

Pictures of the fish?

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, plants, snails or shrimp.
Okay, I have pictures you can see it a little and will crop them. They are moving a lot more than usual, I took all the plants and decor out so I could gravel vacuum better. Didn't know I could leave them in.
Did 75% yesterday, salt and Kanaplex

Can I move the fish to the care bottom 10g?
I feel like I can clean the 20g better

Most reactions

trending

Back