White Lips On My Molly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HCpetraitis

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've been noticing that my black molly has been getting kind of white. She has white lips and a little bit of white on the tips of her gills. I've gotten pics of her lips. Is this just old age or is it sickness. I know it isn' some kind of parasite because it isn't stringy stuff on her lips its just white.....

001-2-1.jpg

Sorry its not the best quality picture but, can you see that her lips are a little lighter? She wasn't like this before.

From the photo it looks normal, I have seen black mollies with different colouration around their lips before. There is a disease called columnaris that is sometimes called mouth fungus (although it's bacterial) because it causes the mouth to turn white and rot away, but it goes white as in paper, fuzzy, and with red in the middle. It's usually accompanied by finrot and sometimes lesions on the body. I've never seen it start looking like your molly does, but keep an eye on her and if you notice fuzziness or signs of finrot, isolate her immediately and treat with antibiotics. The strain of columnaris that causes mouth rot is not particularly bad, so if you catch it and treat it straight away she will probably recover very well. I have to say it doesn't look like it... but I'd still watch closely just in case.

Well, right now I'm dealing with a small case of finrot in my tank. What do I do now?

Most reactions

trending

Back