White fuzzy but not slimy thing on DW

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Yulje3341

Reaction score
Hi all!
New to fish keeping. And Iā€™ve done a lot of research but this doesnā€™t look like your typical biofilm on driftwood. I tried my best to focus, but itā€™s kind of like a long oval shape, like a plant it starts at one spot and grows outwards, it looks fuzzy so it canā€™t be eggs (my initial thought). What can this be? Is this harmful? Bacterial/parasite infections that will eventually overtake my fishes lives?
Please help me identify this šŸ™ thank you in advance.
6407E961-11CE-4E22-8107-621A564DC07D.jpeg
721239A2-A88B-48B5-A1AA-47682E4E3E84.jpeg

So I have a couple questions for you. First is this a recently cycle tank? Second is this piece of wood a new addition to an established tank?

If the answer is yes to either one of the above it may just be the beginnings of a biofilm on a new to your tank or uncycled tank piece of driftwood.

However when I zoom in on your pictures it does look like clutches of eggs, but not knowing what type of fish you have in your tank, I am unsure as to what would lay such small eggs .

Iā€™ve got 10 glow light tetra. 1 male and 3 female gourami and a few female platy. Itā€™s a 30 gallon. Tank has been running for about 3 months. I know that is quite new in terms of cycling. That drift wood has been there since the start but only recently developed that funny looking thing. No other driftwood has it. And itā€™s only that one side. The other side of the dw away from the glass doesnā€™t have this.

I have no idea but am one that figures it is better to prevent rather than cure. I would remove the wood in question and either just suck up the cost and replace or mayhaps soak for several days in a bleach/water combination.

By any chance is the spider wood? If so it is fairly common that it can get a hair like fungus when introduced to a tank. There is a lot of argument on this as to whether this fungus is or is not toxic but my research, as I also have spider wood, seems to say that it is possible that it could be toxic but, if so, that is rare and will go away in a week or two.

My new tank has a decent amount of spider wood. It's going thru it's crazy white film stage as we speak. In my limited experience with the wood, it hasn't harmed a fish and the white film develops in a few days and lasts a week or two

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back