White Fluffy Stuff

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Arc180

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here and in need of some advice on some white fluffy stuff growing on the substrate of an unstocked tank, it's mainly around where I've planted recently. Sorry but I don't know the names of the plants I've got - sorry!
Just recently cycled the 64 litre tank (about four weeks). I've put several plants in, been in for about two weeks. The water went cloudy at first (bacterial bloom?), but cleared in a couple of days and now I've seem to have some strange growth and noticed there's a thin film on the inside of the aquarium as well!
Any ideas what it could be and if it's harmful to any fish or shrimps? I was also thinking of getting a loach too to help with waste food and algae.
Was hoping to get some fish this weekend.

Any advice or comments would be gratefully appreciated and many thanks in advance for any comments.

Arc180

Attachments

• 20140204_064016.jpeg
    20140204_064016.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 199
Hey!

I had this stuff growing on my bogwood!. looks a bit like fluffy mold (mine did anyway).

I tried everything to get rid of it but it kept coming back!

I ended up taking the bogwood out of the tank!

So it would be good to see what causes this!

You are not alone on this issue!

Hi ARC and Typoon. I have it on my reedmoor wood as well, I can safely say it's not harmful for fish. As to what it is? Am not entirely sure myself. At first I thought it was uneaten food but it only forms on the wood, So it has to be related to that.

Am sure someone else can tell us what it's called, But don't worry about it. It's harmless.

Thank you for the replies so far.

The trouble is for me, is that I don't have any wood in the aquarium.

I thought it might be to do with tank cycling, bit like the bacterial bloom you sometimes can have.
Then I thought it might be some kind of bacteria or algae brought in on one of the plants.
Since it seems to be mainly around and started from the bottom of the plants but is now beginning to spread across the substrate.
Also it's starting to appear on the ornaments too!
I'll probably try and suck up the worse of the clumps and see what happens, would like to actually get some fish in this weekend.

Arc180

It's simple mould that forms on bgwood, no worries it will die off soon or if your impatient go and brush it off.

Brilliant stuff,

I will put my bogwood back in if thats the case!

My Mopani wood does the exact same thing, but my betta doesn't seem to mind. :)

Thank you everyone for all of the replies and advice.

Thought I would post an update.

Well, basically all I did was Hoover the worst clumps on the substrate and took out and cleaned the ornaments and replaced.
Also rinsed the filter pads and did a partial water change.

It's been over a week now and all seems to be well again! Nothing has grown back and the bits that remained seems to have died off!

So I'm a happy chappy again...

Arc180 

Good to know it's okay now. I had this issue before and I just cleaned my aquarium. Also change the location of my aquarium, Far from window. I don't know if it's related to the exposure from wind but mine's okay now after I did it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back