White Fluff On Driftwood?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

brandoncw

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Ok Iv'e had this large piece of driftwood in my tank for a month now and about a week after it was put in it started growing this white fuzzy fluff. It has not gone away even after i scrubbed and reboiled it. Is it safe? and if it is will it go away or will i have to get a fish that enjoy eating it, if any. Thank for your help

I have a very similar thing that happened in my tank, and every credible site I've looked at says it is harmless.
It's been 2 or 3 weeks now, and it looks like the fuzz may be starting to die off on it's own.
From what I gather, this fuzz seems to be the result of wood that still has some sugars/sap left in it, and once this is used up, the fuzz will die.
Apparently, most snails and shrimp will eagerly eat the stuff, as well as many of the less carnivorous fish.

mine got it when I re set up a freshwater tank.  3 months in and its gone and I think ir went after about 6 weeks

I'm having the same thing right now in my mini tank. I've had it before in newly set up aquariums and it goes away with time. I believe it's bacteria or something colonizing the wood. Nothing to worry about in my experience.

This always seems to happen with driftwood, I've encountered it many times and it always ends up disappearing after a few days. It's totally harmless

same here, I put driftwood into my tank so it didn't look empty during my fish less cycle and it started to develop that white stuff.

In the end, I took it out because my pH was getting changed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back