White Feathery Stuff On Sand And Plants.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

WillHart

Reaction score
Hi. I have been trawling the Internet and can't find any pictures or answers on forums about this stuff.
I have found numerous posts of people describing the same stuff, but nobody ever seems to come up with a deffinative answer!
It is white Feathery Stuff that sticks to the glass in places but mostly grows on the sand and plants. It affects both my tanks when I am a bit lax on the vleaning schedule but it tskes hold quickly.
It always starts in areas that are sheltered from the strongest water flow and it is hard to remove as it sinks fast once scraped up and my gravel vaccine breaks it up but can't then suck it up!
I have photos but don't know how to post them here!
Any help much appreciated.
Tanks are otherwise healthy. Clean out every 1 to 2 weeks. Both tanks are over filtered and under stocked. Fish are healthy and we just found a baby Julii Cory has managed to survive and grow to a decent size in a community tank with 4 Adult Julii Cory, 5 banded Barbs, Otto's Tetra and a pair of Rams.

what filter do you have? also what is your water parameters. Ammonia, nitrite/Nitrate levels. How much water you take out and any chemicals added to the tank. 

I can't zoom in on the picture to see clearly for some reason, so I will hazard a guess.  How much are you feeding and what are you feeding?  It's possible this is left over flake food.

Hi, we alternate between feeding a combination of Good quality flakes and catfish pellets one day and a mix of frozen food the next. Because we both work long hours we only feed once a day. There is never significant left over food and the Cory's find anything left between the plants anyway.

It definately grows and spreads. I think it might be some kind of mould or fungus maybe. It is not green at all, it's an off white. It looks like cotton or feathers.

What kind of flow do you have circulating the water.is it static at the bottom?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back