White dots on fish, I don’t think it’s ich?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

RenC

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi! I know I’m probably annoying with all my questions but. I recently got a new tank and the filter was very loud. The company sent me a new filter today. I rinsed it well and put it in to replace the old very loud filter. Directly after installing the new filter I noticed quite a bit of white particles in the water and now on my fish who are flashing. They’re only on 2 of my fish. I didn’t see this yesterday or even early this morning before I installed this new filter. It has a carbon filter and a white sponge filter. I noticed them on my plant leaves which just brushed off when I moved the plants. Could this be ich or just a weird filter? The photo shows the white bits on my plants which are easily brushed off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
What is on the plants is not ich. Can you post a photo of the fish--one that is clear (I know it's not easy with moving fish, but we need to be able to see it). Flashing can be one of several things. Can you test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? And has the pH changed?

What is on the plants is not ich. Can you post a photo of the fish--one that is clear (I know it's not easy with moving fish, but we need to be able to see it). Flashing can be one of several things. Can you test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? And has the pH changed?
3A187A7C-D84F-4FB7-8A7A-B502812B5502.jpeg

that’s what it looks like and water levels are good and so is ph. There’s the one dot on his tail and same with one of my ottos. The rest are unaffected and this all happened as soon as I put in the new filter that white stuff got everywhere. So the white on the plants and fish happened at the same time

It's not ich, so could it be air bubbles ? Don't worry about it.
I turned my bubbler off because I thought so too. It’s more of a white dust that’s gone everywhere from my new filter

It's the flashing you mentioned that would concern me the most. We don't know what normal water levels might mean to you, could you post numbers? This is important because ammonia might increase from the new filter, and flashing may be that. Though the plants should take up any of the ammonia. But it is basic when something is noticed to do the tests and having the numbers might tell us something.

Keep your water good and do regular changes of 50% and things should be ok. Fish get alsorts when stressed so keep them well and they can tackle the bugs easily. All my fish are immaculate, but. That's not saying bugs n disease is not present, they just deal with it.

It's the flashing you mentioned that would concern me the most. We don't know what normal water levels might mean to you, could you post numbers? This is important because ammonia might increase from the new filter, and flashing may be that. Though the plants should take up any of the ammonia. But it is basic when something is noticed to do the tests and having the numbers might tell us something.
The flashing has now stopped. My ph is 7.6, always has been in my tanks though due to the tap here. Ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrate is 8ppm

I have locked this thread as there is another on the same subject. Please post further replies in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back