What's new

White Dot On My Severum's Eye

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

scouse_andy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Last weekend I bought a Juwel Rio 300 complete with all its inhabitants.

I had about a 2hr drive with all the fish and netting the bigger severums I think proved quite stressful for them. I have now set up the tank and all the fish are in. It has a cycled internal filter and the filter media was also kept moist so I'm hoping that plenty of bacteria survived. The fish generally seemed to have settled in reasonably well although the Severums seem to have come off worst. One seems to have a few white dots on both of his side fins as you look from the front and another has a strange white dot which is quite raised up on his eye. He is also quite withdrawn and spends long periods hanging about alone at the top corner of the tank. Does anybody have any idea of what this could be and the best way to treat? I am testing the water tomorrow morning and will change accordingly if there is a problem and post the stats.

Here is a picture of the spotty fins
1joi8l.jpg

and here is the sore eye on the other Sev
29f77mt.jpg

2ev5a2c.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated...

Cheers, Andy.

If the fish are stressed and the white dots are grains of salt size could be dealing with whitespot.

I don't think its Whitespot, it was probably from the drama of bagging them.
It should heal on it's own in clean water, failing that a dose of Melafix will probably clear it up :)

Cheers Zoe.

I am treating for ich just to be safe. The sevs are the only ones who seem affected, it may well be stress but I'd rather catch it early in case. Another of the sevs has increasingly spotty fins, the rest of the fish seem fine.

White specs on the eye can be eye flukes.

I've got one white dot in the centre of the sev's eye as in the pic. One of the other sevs has white spots on his fins. There are no other white dots on any other fish. The smallest of my parrots looks stressed with brown dots across his top and a very pale complexion. Today I have seen him flicking and my african blockhead is also flicking. I've got the Waterlife Protozin treatment and have raised the tempearure to 84f and increased aeration. I will let the course complete and then go from there.

Is flicking normal with ich?

Yes flicking is normal with any parasite.
Plenty of aeration like you have done as the med and high temp reduce 02 in the water.
As the high temp and med is tough on bottom dwellers if there not enough aeration in the tank.
Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back