White cloudy water!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AZeed

Reaction score
My fish water has become very white cloudy overnight and all of my fish are breathing from the top of the tank!!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Reduce feeding to 2-3 times a week for the next few weeks.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

How long has the tank been set up for?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Reduce feeding to 2-3 times a week for the next few weeks.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

How long has the tank been set up for?
It's been completely refilled yesterday!!

Do another water change today and increase aeration. There is something in it that is poisoning the fish and causing them to gasp at the surface.

What fish do you have and what are the water parameters? Have you live plants in your tank? A photo of your tank would help us.

What fish do you have and what are the water parameters? Have you live plants in your tank? A photo of your tank would help us.
2 ordinary goldfish, no live plants, about 6 litres of water

goldfish in my experience will live through anything...100% unfiltered tap water changes...christmas lights electrocutions (I was a kid xD), and very high temps...40C
as for the white cloud of death...it just means low oxygen...an air stone will help with that...
good luck

You have 2 goldfish in about 1 1/2 gallons of water...this will never work...a single goldfish needs at MINIMUM 30 gallons, 40 better

I would return/rehome the fish until you are able to properly care for them

F in the chat for the goldfish, even if they survive this there will always be more.

Most reactions

Back