White Cloud Mountain minnows

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fish48

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I've got a pair of white clouds to spawn today they produced about 100 eggs.
They are easy to keep and breed take a wide temperature range and are one of the prettiest fish to keep in the home aquarium, many years ago neon tetras were extremely expensive to buy so they were given the nickname the poor man's neon.
there is also the gold colour morph although I prefer the normal colour however I have one gold male so today I have set up a breeding tank for him and one normal female they should spawn sometime tomorrow the fry will turn out as the normal colour it will then be the next generation that would produce the gold morph, as you can see the female is quite plump and full of eggs

IMG_3444 (640x480).jpg

I've got a pair of white clouds to spawn today they produced about 100 eggs.
They are easy to keep and breed take a wide temperature range and are one of the prettiest fish to keep in the home aquarium, many years ago neon tetras were extremely expensive to buy so they were given the nickname the poor man's neon.
there is also the gold colour morph although I prefer the normal colour however I have one gold male so today I have set up a breeding tank for him and one normal female they should spawn sometime tomorrow the fry will turn out as the normal colour it will then be the next generation that would produce the gold morph, as you can see the female is quite plump and full of eggs

View attachment 120354
I have golden white clouds in my community tank. ;)

I raised 6 that I got from an initial group, and recently just found three fry swimming around like nobody's business!
I may have to purchase a larger tank for them if they continue to produce.
They are beautiful, bronze and pink and red!

Lovely fish. 100! What sort of success rate do you expect?

I had WCMMs in the late 90s. They never bred but in the community I had it’s hardly surprising. I didn’t even know golds or long fins existed back then.
After three months of phone calls, texts and emails I’ve finally got my hands on some LFs. They’re in QT atm. I’m gonna need 4-6 more for a gang to allow em full colouring up so I’ve no idea how long that’ll take. Hopefully they’ll be unrelated to the original bunch.
Ill also be scouring the LFSs for a few mere mortals with the reddest fins to avoid too much in breeding.

edit: Sweet Knowle have em in. If they’ve suddenly become available everywhere after months of nothing then they’re surely from the same source?

Last edited:
Maybe when lockdowns are over I'll get to the good fish shop with long fins AND Forktail blue-eyed Rainbowfish. I'll have no space in my tanks so obviously will need a third tank :rofl:
I’m just back from my lfs. It’s apparently the flagship store of britains biggest chain. No long fins but plenty of Forktail rainbows. They’re in pole position to replace my guppies when they pop their fins. Watch me now have the four longest living guppies in history.

:rofl: yeah i just gave up tryna get them for now. No local place could order and delivery is €26. But I do think when I rehome my platy fry they can go in 58L tank.

Though I'm mad temped too by a wild Betta. Decisions decisions. Why can't my house he bigger to fit more tanks in?!

:rofl: yeah i just gave up tryna get them for now. No local place could order and delivery is €26. But I do think when I rehome my platy fry they can go in 58L tank.

Though I'm mad temped too by a wild Betta. Decisions decisions. Why can't my house he bigger to fit more tanks in?!
....and fish clean their own tanks.

I had WCMMs in the late 90s. They never bred but in the community I had it’s hardly surprising. I didn’t even know golds or long fins existed back then.
After three months of phone calls, texts and emails I’ve finally got my hands on some LFs. They’re in QT atm. I’m gonna need 4-6 more for a gang to allow em full colouring up so I’ve no idea how long that’ll take. Hopefully they’ll be unrelated to the original bunch.
Ill also be scouring the LFSs for a few mere mortals with the reddest fins to avoid too much in breeding.

edit: Sweet Knowle have em in. If they’ve suddenly become available everywhere after months of nothing then they’re surely from the same source?
I have no idea how many ! It's really not up to me as I am not doing anything to help other than giving them a decent environment. I gave 4m and 2f.
One of the females is "egg-bound" I think
I'm moving her out later today in case it's something else.
This is their first breeding cycle, so we'll see!

The success rate should be high sometimes it can go the opposite way depending on many factors for one example there may be more eggs turning fungus than usual.
it's good news that you have found some long fins there not often available from local fish shops if and when they do come readily available chances are they will be related.

I personally do not worry if they're related or not either way you should be able to produce good quality fish if you are thinking of breeding the ones that you have I would suggest to let them flock breed, pick out your best male and female and breed them back together always remove any deformed fish when a new stock becomes available you can then add new blood if needed.

To bring out the best colour in fish they should receive natural daylight and live food added to there diet. live food is the most natural food that you can give a fish I feed my fish a good quality flake food and i regulatory feed a variety of live foods atm I have number of juvenile White Clouds which are fed daily on daphnia, some of my live food cultures 2 of my water butts I have daphnia available all year round. and micro worms and vinegar eels are very good foods for egg-laying fry, last pick vinegar eels the smallest of the nematodes that we feed to our fish
IMG_3465 (640x480).jpg IMG_3481 (640x454).jpg
IMG_3451 (640x480).jpg IMG_3459 (640x480).jpg
IMG_3470 (640x480).jpg

Just read a random mention of WCMMs on Twitter and after a few clicks found myself reading a scientific journal report dated this year that said there eight different types of WCMMs in the wild separated millions of years ago. Number of rays in the tail fin being a big tell apparently. All a bit deep for me. I just like the pretty colours and charging around the tank tbh.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back