White cloud minnow - ammonia or parasite?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Brooke37

Reaction score
Hi all, we have had a small 12L tank for about 3 years, started with 5 WCMM but after about 18 mths, over a period of about 6mths, one by one they started getting skinny with fins down, floating at top or bottom, then dying. Usually over a period of 2-3 days and water change didnā€™t help. We canā€™t get WCMM where we are any more so I got 2 leopard danios but they chased the WCMM all the time. We have one left and he seemed happy enough, I know they like company but pet shop didnā€™t have anything I thought would be suitable tank mate just yet. Anyway he started going to same way as the others - fins down, staying at top of water, not eating - and after lots of research, water changes, broad spectrum treatments etc he seemed to be getting better but 2 weeks ago I did a quick water change and the next day he was on his side at the bottom. I did stir up the gravel a bit to net out the waste, but heā€™s been fine with this before. Iā€™ve now tried multiple small water changes, ammo lock, 7 days of stabiliser, and aquarium salts in case itā€™s a parasite and not ammonia poisoning, but heā€™s no better, not eating, bloated, pale, pine coning and eyes all goggly. Should I euthanise him? I have clove oil. I really want to save him but if heā€™s past it I donā€™t want him to suffer. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• EEE7ADDA-4AE6-4D9A-8EF9-3F7A1B204898.jpeg
    EEE7ADDA-4AE6-4D9A-8EF9-3F7A1B204898.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 63
Both species, WCMM and Leopard Danio, need a bit of swimming room. The absolutely smallest tank I would have either in would be 10 gallons, or about 35 liters. It could have been stress or something else.

@Colin_T is pretty good at diagnosis.

Both species, WCMM and Leopard Danio, need a bit of swimming room. The absolutely smallest tank I would have either in would be 10 gallons, or about 35 liters. It could have been stress or something else.

@Colin_T is pretty good at diagnosis.
Thank you Circus, Iā€™ve read this also (after purchasing our tank). Do you know what a small tank like this would be suitable for then please? Itā€™s our daughterā€™s, so I think she will want to try again. Iā€™ll be sure to research how to clean the tank and start it up again first.

There are a surprising variety of shrimp you could house in that size. I will post a pic of some of my red cherry shrimp.

Or maybe an African Dwarf Frog. They only get about 1.5 inches. I am not for sure on them, since I have not kept them myself.

Attachments

• 20210723_181622.jpg
    20210723_181622.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 71
i have a platy in this EXACT situation. iā€™m thinking iā€™ll have to euthanize her šŸ˜”

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back