White cloud minnow - ammonia or parasite?

Brooke37

Reaction score
Hi all, we have had a small 12L tank for about 3 years, started with 5 WCMM but after about 18 mths, over a period of about 6mths, one by one they started getting skinny with fins down, floating at top or bottom, then dying. Usually over a period of 2-3 days and water change didn’t help. We can’t get WCMM where we are any more so I got 2 leopard danios but they chased the WCMM all the time. We have one left and he seemed happy enough, I know they like company but pet shop didn’t have anything I thought would be suitable tank mate just yet. Anyway he started going to same way as the others - fins down, staying at top of water, not eating - and after lots of research, water changes, broad spectrum treatments etc he seemed to be getting better but 2 weeks ago I did a quick water change and the next day he was on his side at the bottom. I did stir up the gravel a bit to net out the waste, but he’s been fine with this before. I’ve now tried multiple small water changes, ammo lock, 7 days of stabiliser, and aquarium salts in case it’s a parasite and not ammonia poisoning, but he’s no better, not eating, bloated, pale, pine coning and eyes all goggly. Should I euthanise him? I have clove oil. I really want to save him but if he’s past it I don’t want him to suffer. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• EEE7ADDA-4AE6-4D9A-8EF9-3F7A1B204898.jpeg
    EEE7ADDA-4AE6-4D9A-8EF9-3F7A1B204898.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 18

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Both species, WCMM and Leopard Danio, need a bit of swimming room. The absolutely smallest tank I would have either in would be 10 gallons, or about 35 liters. It could have been stress or something else.

@Colin_T is pretty good at diagnosis.

OP
B

Brooke37

Reaction score
Both species, WCMM and Leopard Danio, need a bit of swimming room. The absolutely smallest tank I would have either in would be 10 gallons, or about 35 liters. It could have been stress or something else.

@Colin_T is pretty good at diagnosis.
Thank you Circus, I’ve read this also (after purchasing our tank). Do you know what a small tank like this would be suitable for then please? It’s our daughter’s, so I think she will want to try again. I’ll be sure to research how to clean the tank and start it up again first.

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
There are a surprising variety of shrimp you could house in that size. I will post a pic of some of my red cherry shrimp.

Or maybe an African Dwarf Frog. They only get about 1.5 inches. I am not for sure on them, since I have not kept them myself.

Attachments

• 20210723_181622.jpg
    20210723_181622.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 15

ThatFishGirl6231

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have a platy in this EXACT situation. i’m thinking i’ll have to euthanize her 😔

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online