White Cloud Fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

itiwhetu

Naturally First
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Thought I should breed white clouds again.
This is a 200 liter tank, no filtration, early morning sun, a lot of surface plant.

At the moment there are about 150 fry on the surface of this tank. The 10 adult fish are continually spawning so there are fry at different sizes. I will keep posting photos as they grow, these guys will be sold back to the LFS when ready.

Attachments

• 20201115_091113.jpg
    20201115_091113.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 830
  • 20201115_091250.jpg
    20201115_091250.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 20201115_091257.jpg
    20201115_091257.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
That's very cool. Is that tank outside?

Cool ,thanks for sharing the pictures.:snap: I have been trying to have some tetra fry show up in my community tank again but no luck so far. I have everything I need to set up a 10 gallon fry tank just have to get around to it. I want to try ember tetras since they are so small. If I am lucky and have fry I am going to repair a leaking 55 gallon tank in my basement and fill it with ember tetra.

Cool ,thanks for sharing the pictures.:snap: I have been trying to have some tetra fry show up in my community tank again but no luck so far. I have everything I need to set up a 10 gallon fry tank just have to get around to it. I want to try ember tetras since they are so small. If I am lucky and have fry I am going to repair a leaking 55 gallon tank in my basement and fill it with ember tetra.
The more plant you have the better your chances, with tetras I always liked Ambulia it is finer than Cabomba. Ambulia will give the fry more protection.

This tank has been set up for almost a year. The 10 adult fish survived winter, it freezes here so we had ice on the surface of this tank, we are now moving from spring into summer where I expected to get them to spawn, huge shifts in atmospheric pressure and the early morning sun strike. I didn't expect to see so many fry so early. It is interesting with tank temperature as really I thought it was going to be in the low 20's. The fry are growing at a hundred miles an hour, so it will be an interesting time from now through to January.

So this tank was 25°C yesterday and this morning it is 18°C. Just shows how tolerant fish are to temperature changes.

so interesting observing this tank that is so close to "natural" conditions! When the tank freezes, do you break the ice to allow for oxygenation and prevent damage to the glass? I would be concerned about a layer of ice forming on an aquarium from a structural perspective!

so interesting observing this tank that is so close to "natural" conditions! When the tank freezes, do you break the ice to allow for oxygenation and prevent damage to the glass? I would be concerned about a layer of ice forming on an aquarium from a structural perspective!
The ice is no problem it just floats up and down. But I do break it up on a daily basis

I keep a de-icer in my pond during the winter just in case. A hole has to be left in order for gas exchange or the fish will die.

When I lived in Central Otago. We used to get days of -7°C frosts and all the ponds and outside tanks would end up with about an inch of ice on them, we never had a fish die. The goldfish would just dive to the bottom and stay there, everything is so cold that the oxygen level goes up and the fish slow down.

When I lived in Central Otago. We used to get days of -7°C frosts and all the ponds and outside tanks would end up with about an inch of ice on them, we never had a fish die. The goldfish would just dive to the bottom and stay there, everything is so cold that the oxygen level goes up and the fish slow down.
Yep, in deep ponds that would work. :)

So this tank was 25°C yesterday and this morning it is 18°C. Just shows how tolerant fish are to temperature changes.
Well, white clouds can withstand very low temperatures. Mine are also still outdoors. And ovehere we already have lows of 2°C. In nature these occur in high mountain areas where it´s cold. These ain´t tropical but subtropical.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back