White Cheeked Goby

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FrankSlapperinni

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I finally got kuhli loachs for my 10 gallon aquarium, so now I can move on to what fish I want next. I was thinking of another freshwater oddball when I remembered the white cheeked goby (which I believe is freshwater). I looked up information on the Internet, but had no luck finding anything specific, from what I've gathered, they grow two inchs, are peacefully, and only the dominate male in the tank will be brown with white cheeks, while all of the others will become a dull gray.

Anyone care to correct this information or provide me with any new info?

Currant Inhabitants are
2 platy's
3 Kuhli's

Thank you for any help. :D

For some reason the only sources of information i can find on the web are confusing the white cheeked goby with the dwarf dragon gobie Rhinogobius wui which is a completely different fish and can be easily identified by the red and white striped throat sack that the males have and use to threaten other males in the tank.
If it is Rhinogobius wiu you are seeking info on they grow to around 2" and are peaceful, they are a freshwater fish but are actually a cold water species and shouldnt be kept at tropical temperatures for extended periods, they preffer the temperature between 15 and 20 degrees centigrade. You could keep a couple of pairs in a 10 gallon provided you supply pleanty of large flat rocks or slate pieces for them to make caves under, they also need a sand substrate to allow thm to dig. They spawn easily and frequently if kept in a species tank, my pair has spawned 3 times in the last 6 months although so far ive had no luck with actually raising any fry.

If you need info on the white cheeked goby then a scientific name will be needed for a proper identification.

I have a white-cheeked goby (or atleast, that's what it was labeled). I have only one, so I can't shed any light about the coloring with other males.

Mine is relatively peaceful. Once he chased a dwarf puffer out of his flower pot, but that's as aggressive as he got. I've only had luck feeding him frozen or live food. He'll take flake food, but he'll spit it right out.

I have sand in the tank he is in, and it's great to watch him escavate tunnels underneath the flower pots. Personally, mine has always had a place dug out underneath the flower pots. So having something for the goby to "dig" underneath might be a good idea. He did this when I had gravel in there as well.

Hope this helps...

ooh I found a goodish one on a maidenhead aquatics website!

http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/databank.aspx?id=275

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back