white blotches on cory

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
there are some white blotches on cory after ich treatment, i am thinking they may be burn marks
i will seperate him and take a picture

Burn marks...from what? Highly unlikely. Could be fungus, could be protein excess. What do you feed them? And how did you treat the ich?

if you used chemicals it's probably excess mucous.

do a big water change and gravel clean substrate every day for a week after the treatment has finished.

if you used chemicals it's probably excess mucous.

do a big water change and gravel clean substrate every day for a week after the treatment has finished.
yes that is what i am doing
Burn marks...from what? Highly unlikely. Could be fungus, could be protein excess. What do you feed them? And how did you treat the ich?
heater at 86
recently bug bites spirulina
ich x (chem)

yes that is what i am doing

heater at 86
recently bug bites spirulina
ich x (chem)

Onb the temperature of 86F, I assume that was for two weeks to treat the ich, and the temp is now much lower. Please confirm.

Bug Bites are excellent, but spirulina is not good. Corydoras have issues attempting to digest plant matter and should not be fed algae/spirulina base foods. Having said that, the issue is not likely due to this, but for the future good health (which allows the fish to better deal with issues), avoid "veggie" foods.

Do not use ich remedies with cories, or other fish. Heat (86F/30C) alone will kill ich and much more safely. Many fish have difficulties with medications and when there are safer treatments use them.

Sty with Colin's advice, I agree.

Onb the temperature of 86F, I assume that was for two weeks to treat the ich, and the temp is now much lower. Please confirm.

Bug Bites are excellent, but spirulina is not good. Corydoras have issues attempting to digest plant matter and should not be fed algae/spirulina base foods. Having said that, the issue is not likely due to this, but for the future good health (which allows the fish to better deal with issues), avoid "veggie" foods.

Do not use ich remedies with cories, or other fish. Heat (86F/30C) alone will kill ich and much more safely. Many fish have difficulties with medications and when there are safer treatments use them.

Sty with Colin's advice, I agree.
oh, yesterday was the final day to treat ich and i am just starting to lower temperatures
ok, if i ever get it again i will only use meds as the last last resort
i will feed them the cory shrimp pellets then
the flakes will stay on top

i have another question for fish food: is it a good idea to put a mix of food in for a vacation autofeeder?
any pictures yet?
very elusive little fish, not yet

i have another question for fish food: is it a good idea to put a mix of food in for a vacation autofeeder?
How long are you going away for?
If you are going away for less than 2 weeks, don't bother getting anyone to feed the fish and don't use holiday/ vacation blocks or automatic feeders.

If you go away for a week or two, just leave the fish without food. They will be fine.

--------------------
The holiday/ weekend feeders are not worth using. They require the pH of the water to be on 7.0 otherwise they don't dissolve at the correct rate. If the pH is acid (below 7.0), they can dissolve overnight and release all the food in a short period of time.

If the pH is above 7.0, they might not dissolve at all.

--------------------
The best thing to do if going away for a week or two is feed the fish more often before you go, do more tank cleaning, and add some live plants.

Feed the fish 3-5 times a day for a couple of weeks before you go away. This will let the fish gain some weight and they can live off the fat reserves while you're away. The fish won't starve because unlike mammals and birds that use most of the food they eat to stay warm, most fish take their body temperature from the surrounding water. So any food they eat is used for growth and movement. This allows fish to go for weeks or even months without food and not die from starvation.

Do big (75%) water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day or every couple of days while feeding more often. This keeps the water and tank clean and helps to limit or stop diseases from occurring due to a dirty tank.

Do the same water change the day before you go and give the fish a feed before you walk out the door, then leave them alone.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add some live plants a few weeks before. The plants will have micro-organisms on them and the fish can feed on them while you are away.

Have the light on a timer.

Increase the lighting times to 15-16 hours a day while you are away. This will encourage algae and plant growth and the fish can eat that while you're on holiday. When you get back, simply reduce the lighting time to 10-12 hours or whatever it normally is.

Clean the filter a couple of days before you go so it is clean and won't block up or overflow while you're away. Wash the filter media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.

--------------------

If you are going for more than 2 weeks (eg: a month), then do the above and get someone to feed the fish once or twice a week. Measure out a single portion of food and put it into small plastic containers or ziplock bags. Put a date on each bag for when it should be used and get the person to add the contents of one bag on each of those dates. No other food should be offered and don't add extra food to the bags. Just put in a single feeding per bag.

I would love to see pictures. I spent last week deep reading about corydoras and most often disease and white spots, white fluff and slime is almost 90% columnaris that needs special treatment. People who have had it and didn't treat right away for it or did a fungus treatment did lose all of their corydoras in the upcoming 6 months. But it has to be white spots, like rubbed down spots, and it usually is not on only one of the cories, maybe in the very beginning the weakest one gets it first.
They also become lethargic, which is also a symptom.

How long are you going away for?
If you are going away for less than 2 weeks, don't bother getting anyone to feed the fish and don't use holiday/ vacation blocks or automatic feeders.

If you go away for a week or two, just leave the fish without food. They will be fine.

--------------------
The holiday/ weekend feeders are not worth using. They require the pH of the water to be on 7.0 otherwise they don't dissolve at the correct rate. If the pH is acid (below 7.0), they can dissolve overnight and release all the food in a short period of time.

If the pH is above 7.0, they might not dissolve at all.

--------------------
The best thing to do if going away for a week or two is feed the fish more often before you go, do more tank cleaning, and add some live plants.

Feed the fish 3-5 times a day for a couple of weeks before you go away. This will let the fish gain some weight and they can live off the fat reserves while you're away. The fish won't starve because unlike mammals and birds that use most of the food they eat to stay warm, most fish take their body temperature from the surrounding water. So any food they eat is used for growth and movement. This allows fish to go for weeks or even months without food and not die from starvation.

Do big (75%) water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day or every couple of days while feeding more often. This keeps the water and tank clean and helps to limit or stop diseases from occurring due to a dirty tank.

Do the same water change the day before you go and give the fish a feed before you walk out the door, then leave them alone.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add some live plants a few weeks before. The plants will have micro-organisms on them and the fish can feed on them while you are away.

Have the light on a timer.

Increase the lighting times to 15-16 hours a day while you are away. This will encourage algae and plant growth and the fish can eat that while you're on holiday. When you get back, simply reduce the lighting time to 10-12 hours or whatever it normally is.

Clean the filter a couple of days before you go so it is clean and won't block up or overflow while you're away. Wash the filter media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.

--------------------

If you are going for more than 2 weeks (eg: a month), then do the above and get someone to feed the fish once or twice a week. Measure out a single portion of food and put it into small plastic containers or ziplock bags. Put a date on each bag for when it should be used and get the person to add the contents of one bag on each of those dates. No other food should be offered and don't add extra food to the bags. Just put in a single feeding per bag.
Food:
i meant like an auto-feeding machine

Plants:
ok it is only 10 days so i will just make the tank clean and not prune any duckweed or water lettuce to have more rotten plants for food
not sure how to add more plants since my tank is almost filled to the brim, should i just make a lot of cuttings grow really fast so they can eat it?

Filter:
i clean the filter every two weeks, so i think that should be good

Light:
i have a finnex 24/7 so i don't really need a timer, but i will increase the light for a few hours

I would love to see pictures. I spent last week deep reading about corydoras and most often disease and white spots, white fluff and slime is almost 90% columnaris that needs special treatment. People who have had it and didn't treat right away for it or did a fungus treatment did lose all of their corydoras in the upcoming 6 months. But it has to be white spots, like rubbed down spots, and it usually is not on only one of the cories, maybe in the very beginning the weakest one gets it first.
They also become lethargic, which is also a symptom.
hello!
he is kind of scared of me right now, very very elusive
the spot is fading it is just some mucous since it is not fluffy or anything.
only one has it

can you send a photo of "rubbed down spots?" thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back