White algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ellamay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve only just started cycling my tank and today my partner noticed this white stuff on the wood in my tank. It looks like tiny jellyfish.
Is there anything I need to do about this? Iā€™ve been advised not to change the water until Iā€™m done cycling. It was VERY green in there yesterday, looks better now just a slightly green tinge to the water.

Attachments

• 9579EDE2-727F-4A4E-A5E7-996412CAADFB.jpeg
    9579EDE2-727F-4A4E-A5E7-996412CAADFB.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 83
Some fish will nibble on it...my angel and corys love it

More than welcome...I have some spider wood in my 40 gallon tank that has been in there for months, and is just now starting to sneeze without wiping, lol....usually, it shows up soon after wood is immersed

More than welcome...I have some spider wood in my 40 gallon tank that has been in there for months, and is just now starting to sneeze without wiping, lol....usually, it shows up soon after wood is immersed
Mines been in there for a couple of days. Thatā€™s a long time!!

Yes, just IME, it seems the harder woods that sink w/out much soaking (like spider wood) seem to delay catching a cold, while the softer woods seem to have them right away...good that yours happened early, that means you shouldn't have to look at it for very long...BTW, cute pup in your avatar!

Yes, just IME, it seems the harder woods that sink w/out much soaking (like spider wood) seem to delay catching a cold, while the softer woods seem to have them right away...good that yours happened early, that means you shouldn't have to look at it for very long...BTW, cute pup in your avatar!
That's good to know, thanks!
Thank you his names Bob :)

The only good algae is dead white algae! But,what you have is just fungus from wood not totally cured. Pleco type fish love the taste of that. I from watching vids and seeing how much wood falls into streams all year..its an important food for them.
You also might notice a sour smell to the water...keep up with water changes. In fact if you put your nose to that fungus- it can reek.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back