White Algae all over New Driftwood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Reaction score
Hi all,

Iā€™ve recently got a new peice of driftwood and there is like this white fungus growing all over it - how can I get rid of this? At the moment I donā€™t have any bottom dwellers but look to change this in the coming weeks will this help?

How do I treat it? And what happens if it goes untreated?

See photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 118
Some fungus can be poisonous to aquatic organisms so just take the wood out and hose it off. It normally stops growing after it has been hosed off. If it continue to grow, hose it off again and maybe wipe it down with a paper tower. Eventually it will stop appearing.

Hi all,

Iā€™ve recently got a new peice of driftwood and there is like this white fungus growing all over it - how can I get rid of this? At the moment I donā€™t have any bottom dwellers but look to change this in the coming weeks will this help?

How do I treat it? And what happens if it goes untreated?

See photo.
i saw a reddit post a while ago, its fungus or hair algae and it goes away soon use some sort of algae removal if it doesnt

I had this, and was told by posters on here and at my LFS not to worry about it, that it was a biofilm like substance and showed that my tank was getting healthy!
Maybe yours looks different to mine - mine looked jelly-like and had what looked like air bubbles in it.

Some types of wood ooze this white goo, and with some types of wood it is toxic to fish. It is safer to err on the side of caution and remove it.

I bought some azalea root a few months ago and left it to soak in an old tank in the garden to let it sink. Within a few days it had this goo all over it and after several weeks it was still oozing out so in the end I gave up and bought more wood labelled as 'mangrove' which never oozed the goo.

Some types of wood ooze this white goo, and with some types of wood it is toxic to fish. It is safer to err on the side of caution and remove it.

I bought some azalea root a few months ago and left it to soak in an old tank in the garden to let it sink. Within a few days it had this goo all over it and after several weeks it was still oozing out so in the end I gave up and bought more wood labelled as 'mangrove' which never oozed the goo.
Speaking of mangrove can i grow a mangrove in a fresh water tank?

Hello,
@Sgooosh you should boil it 1 hour before use (hygiene) then soak it many days/weeks to make it bleed its tannins if you don't want amber coloured water.

Driftwood snot, harmless, some fish even nibble on it...it will eventually go away on it's own

Hello,
@Sgooosh you should boil it 1 hour before use (hygiene) then soak it many days/weeks to make it bleed its tannins if you don't want amber coloured water.
yeah i did that but mine was a pretty thick log and i have a guppy tank so i was like nevermind

@Sgooosh you can also burn it up to 3-4 thin bark layer, scratch it, using a kitchen torch I mean something like this :
chalumeau.jpg

Looks like standard driftwood snot. Assuming your wood is fish-safe, it is usually harmless and goes away with time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back