Whiptail Pleco / Whiptail Catfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kmur

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, I am still cycling my tank, and I'm firmly decided in my middle-dwellers as being a school of roughly 12 celestial pearl danios. I am still on the search for my bottom dwellers of choice though, and keeping myself open to options. Today, on my weekly LFS visit, I found some Whiptail Catfish which I hadn't heard of before. I did a quick google, and it looks like they'd be compatible with my planned water perimeters (76 degrees and a pH of 7.5) From what I can see, they're peaceful and get up to 6", so I think a pair of them should be ok in my 30g long tank with a medium amount of plant cover and sand substrate.

But, we all know the internet lies all the time, so I'm hoping to get some opinions from some people who have actually OWNED them. The specimens they had in stock at my LFS were pretty darned small, but even at about 2", they seemed very calm and non-fearful, and had no interest in their tankmates. I watched them for about ten minutes. More importantly, I thought they were cute, and I don't think there's much point in getting a fish you're not going to enjoy!

So, opinions? Thanks!

Do you know what type they are? Theres a few types given that name that get between 6 and 12" so quite a big difference.

Do you know what type they are? Theres a few types given that name that get between 6 and 12" so quite a big difference.

Shoot. They scientific name was written, but I didn't write it down. I did take a picture of one of them, but it's a really bad picture, so unless there are massive color differences between variations, that won't be enough! Argh.

whiptail.jpg

Like I said. Bad picture. :p

Im not to good on my whiptails but they look like Hemiloricaria fallax to me. Which get to about 6" so depending on stock 2-3 will be fine.

Have a look through here http://www.seriouslyfish.com/kb.php?t=ps&s=whiptail and see which ones they are :)

Whiptails are a fantastic fish and will suit many types of tanks :) I have 3 species of whiptail and 4 in total. I have a Rineloricara sp.Peru, 2 Sturisoma Aurem and a Lamontichthys filamentosus - though the latter is getting quite skinny now :( Im rather worried :(

I would suspect that the one you have seen is some kind of Rineloricara as they are the most common see which it looks like though as they do range in size - the size range is actually bigger then Kizno said they get between 4 and 20 inches! The 20 inch ones are from a family called Pseudoloricara (spelling) and do get very very long.

Most whiptails care is quite simple often feeding on micro organisms in your tank so do appreciate a mature tank - mine like live food and tetra prima along with the occasional algae wafer feast. Though avoid twig catfish from the Farlowella species as they often die because you just can not match their feeding in the wild and its often rare occasions where these fish take prepared food.

Wills

I took a good look at all the pictures, and I am fairly sure he's either fallax, or possibly simillima. Things sound promising so far, so I'll definitely go take a closer look at them when i get a chance, and take my good camera. (I'll ask the folks at the LFS too. Mine is pretty good, but I still generally avoid trusting anyone :p)

my nan has same 1 in her tank and it just sits on a plant allday long she was sold it as a common whiptail and its on about 5-6" and she has ad it bout 9yrs so pretty safe to say it will max out at 5-6". like Wills said you will need a mature tank best wating till its been set up about 6months or so they will never bother your any of your other fish even dead 1s unlicke plecos

I have a whiptail. Looks the same as the one in your piccy,, He's in a tank with other plecos and catfish,
He's not shy, but at the same time great at camouflage, He can be sitting right in front of you in the tank, and blends perfectly in with the gravel,
He's very peaceful. Doesn't get any hassel of his buddies and loves his cucumber!
Not the most energetic fish, Will mainly just sit and chill when looking, "But in the open" not like some cats,
And i just love the fact he blends in so well with the gravel, You have to look twice to see him sometimes!
:D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back